Firebird Nation banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I followed the Zaino Extended recommendations that Kurt sent with the product to the letter in order to make sure each product was applied as suggested, and I applied the same amount of coats for each product. If 4 coats isn't enough for Zaino to work, then I would be extremely surprised. I can't imagine having to apply 5 or even 6 coats of polish to an entire car. I applied a coat of AIO, Z2, Z6, and Z5, which seems like a lot of polish IMO, and I waited the recommended time between coats.

We are definitely seeing a gradual decrease in the product over time, and the results have now been replicated 3 times with 3 different trials. I am sure a stickier surface would collect more contaminants, but I am not sure about appearance. I try to not rely much on appearance since it's very subjective.

No problem at all Layna, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I was starting to get the feeling that most members were losing interest in the studies.

Bob you sure have done a lot of work into this.
For me I would have to vote for the hardest finish for purchase.
The water test is good but a harder finish I would think would be better at repelling bug's and even dust sticking to the finish.
With using showtime cleaners and no water upon arrival at show's I would want the hardest finish possible to avoid swirls and scratches.
Not saying its right but that is my feelings so far.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I have to agree Pete, I think a "slicker" surface in the summer (and probably in the winter too) would be better for the very things you mentioned, in addition to repelling contaminants or at least preventing them from sticking to the paint. I never imagined we would see these kinds of results with the testing. I figured when we started that we would simply see the beads and slickness wear off in a uniform manner, but that just isn't the case. I am very happy that we included a drag test along with the water tests. I notice every other wax/polish test only includes a water beading test, and if we had done the same, the winner would be clear, but right now the winner really depends on what you're after, more water beading, or a slicker surface. I am also happy that we repeated this test 3 times now and can see that these results are repeatable. Now the quest is on to find a product that can deliver both.

I think this concludes this round of testing. I have learned a lot more about the testing protocols this round which should help in future trials of other products. As we can see from the videos, both before and after the wash, both zones have similar water action and both zones are pulling very close to the baseline numbers we ran before applying the products.

Anyway, I am going to rate each of these products on a scale of 1 to 5 and then tally up the score. If you find some of these things don't matter to you, then you can skip the ones that done matter to you and add up the ones that do to see which product may be better for you.

The scale is 1 to 5 with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best. I am going to try and take into as many considerations as possible, some of which may not matter at all to you, but probably matter to the average Joe.

Ease of Access (how easily can you get the stuff):

Zaino: 3 (Usually available only online which can be a PITA for some people, but you may be able to find it locally if you ask around. I give it a 3 out of 5 because some people don't have a problem ordering online.).

Meguiars NTX 2.0: 5 (Available virtually everywhere)

Ease of Application (how easily is it to apply and remove):

Zaino: 3 (This product takes countless coats, multiple products, and countless hours of application if you follow the extended tips for the best application, but it comes off very easy, which is why it gets a 3 out of 5 rating)

Meguiars NXT 2.0: 3 (This product would be a 5 if it didn't leave white residue in cracks and on black plastic)

Cost:

Zaino: 3 (Zaino is about 3 times more expensive than the competition)

Meguiars NXT 2.0: 4 (It's priced about the same as the competition, but cheaper than FUKKEN and CHEMICAL GUYS and about 3 times cheaper then Zaino)

Protection (how long does it last and provide a slick non-stick surface or beading):

Zaino: 3 (Zaino did an excellent job of beading, but I think Zaino could have done a better job at providing a slicker surface to repel contaminants. A higher surface tension does not equal better protection)

Meguiars: 3 (Meguiars provided a very slick surface, but when it came to "relentless beading" as the label claims, it fell flat on its face.)

Shine:

Zaino: 5

Meguiars: 5

Total:

Zaino: 17/25

Meguiars: 19/25

*Note, I made some adjustments to the numbers.

If you can look past the price, ease of application, and ease of access, it would come down to whether beading or a slick surface is more important to you. If beading is important to you, you will want to go with Zaino. If a slicker surface is important to you, you will want to go with Meguiars. I have seen many comparisons online which only used a beading test, and if we only used a beading test, Zaino would have been the clear winner in terms or protection and longevity, but with the drag tests, it's clear in all of our testing that Meguiars has provided a slicker surface every single time. Honestly, until I do more testing with other products, I am not impressed at all with either product.

Some other things we have learned is that the next time the wax/polish is applied to the surface again, the surface protection will almost double. Of course you probably have to apply that second application within at least 3 weeks of the first application.

Now it's time to find a product that provides relentless beading (if beading is important to you, I personally like the sheeting since it leaves a hood almost dry) and a slick surface.

I think for the next tests, I might use the Wife's Saturn which sits in the garage 24/7, which will eliminate any contaminants, but in a way, I like the real world testing. Perhaps I will use both vehicles at the same time to test the same products to see if there is any major differences? Decisions.

Zaino has a system of local distributors - often local auto enthusiasts. You have to ask around to find them. In NJ, its available at Shore MotorSports on Rt 9 in Toms River. NJ residents can not order it online. There are also distributors in Hawaii and Canada.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Zaino has a system of local distributors - often local auto enthusiasts. You have to ask around to find them. In NJ, its available at Shore MotorSports on Rt 9 in Toms River. NJ residents can not order it online. There are also distributors in Hawaii and Canada.
Weird, why can't you order it online in NJ? Can you order other waxes / polishes online in NJ? We have some strange laws in this country. Is there an online site where you can find local Zaino dealers? I will edit my last post to reflect this info.

Bob, Thank you for all your hard work and time spent on these tests. It is truly appreciated.

I assume Zaino doesn't sell it directly in NJ because their business is located in NJ, and they would have to collect Sales Tax on sales to NJ residents. I suspect they don't want to get involved with the paperwork. It not because the State prohibits it.

The distribution network is pretty much "underground"..... at least it was a few years ago. Maybe they've dropped it by now. But you could usually find one or two people in your state that could sell it.

Thanks for all of the hard work Bob!!

I re-read this thread whenever I need motivated to detail my car.

I figure if you can do that much work for a study, I can get off my dead-butt and wash-n-wax my car!!!!

I had to make an update to the ratings in this test. I needed to correct for ease of use on the Meguiars due to the fact that it leaves White residue in cracks and on black plastic, which is very annoying. I didn't have any cracks or seams on the hood, so this wasn't an issue on the hood, but after applying each polish on the doors, which has both black plastic, cracks, and many seams, I wanted to update my ratings accordingly.

There is no visual difference with the Soaked Hood Test, Light Spray, Rain Simulated and Drag Test (Before and After).

IMO...

It is a Dead Heat.

Which leads me to the next important variable in my purchase decision, and that is the cost of the product per application.
Always try to be ULTRA dignified and respectful since 'models' appearing with a forum member's car are usually girlfriends/wives/etc. But the young lady in the brown bikini standing next to the black TA deserves more airtime on this forum. She would make ANY car look great!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.