Firebird Nation banner
201 - 214 of 214 Posts
I am not sure what the clay bar will remove Jim, but it definitely does a wonderful job of getting the surface clean and prepped for a wax or polish. I know FUKKEN wax is supposed to do a good job at removing bugs and tar, but I haven't tested that out yet.
Jim, FUKKEN wax does a great job of removing bug's and tar.
It is also really good at removing burnt rubber on the rear quarter's which my 69 seems to have a problem with.

You have to get the bug splatters off ASAP. The acid will eat right into the paint. So will bird poop. The better the polish you use, the less likely the bugs and poop will damage the paint, and the easier it will be to remove them. If it has been on there a long time, and it doesn't seem to want to come off, it may be too late.

Maybe Bob has to crush some bugs and smear some bird poop on the wax/polish as part of the next round of tests.....

LOL. Yeah that is kind of what happened, Fred. They've obviously been there for years. I'm the 5th owner and they were already there 3 years ago when I got the car. So it appears that, short of a new paintjob (out of the question at present), the best I can do is disguise or cover up the affected areas. But I will protect what's left - don't want to be disappointed at the end of an 1100-mile road trip!

LOL. Yeah that is kind of what happened, Fred. They've obviously been there for years. I'm the 5th owner and they were already there 3 years ago when I got the car. So it appears that, short of a new paintjob (out of the question at present), the best I can do is disguise or cover up the affected areas. But I will protect what's left - don't want to be disappointed at the end of an 1100-mile road trip!
Jim you may want to try rubbing alcohol on a cloth on the effected area's. This will remove bugs, tree sap, tar, and bird poop but you must re-wax after using the rubbing alcohol because it with strip the wax off the car. I have found this to be a quick, easy, and cost effective way of dealing with the worst the road throws at our cars.

Best of luck
Jon

[quote name='Bob' date='11 May 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1273613604' post='492844']
Interesting Jon, I will have to give that a try.

Bob an old bodyman/detailer gave me this tip. He actually gave me two fluids that work well but people look at me strange enough when I suggest trying the rubbing alcohol that I won't mention the other one. I've tried both and they have worked great. But as Fred says, if the stain has been there for a long time I wonder if the stain is etched into the paint. The cars I do all seem to "recover" fine but I really have no idea how long they have been staining the paint. Still the best offense against these paint contaminants is a great defense ( wax ) .

Jon

I'm gonna take a wild guess, Jon, would the other product happen to be lighter fluid?

LOL Jim, too funny but damn your close

I think someone once said to use Kerosene? Don't try this and blame me if it ruins your paint!

i ordered some fukken wax before this was said and done, and it worked decent on wheels and small stuff but on the actual car it fukken sucked, it made it feel smooth but didnt make it look any better,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this study Bob. I briefly watch the videos and have to say zones 1 and 2 are looking the best. I'm currently using Turtle wax Ice along with Armor All's Wash and Wax soap. The soap by itself cleans the car but doesn't give it that nice shine BUT it does bead water. Turtle Wax Ice makes the car shiny but doesn't really bead water that well. I still have some 8 year old Zymol I need to apply to my DD, I can try and make a study from that but like I said, it's 8 years old lol

Discussion starter · #212 ·

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this study Bob. I briefly watch the videos and have to say zones 1 and 2 are looking the best. I'm currently using Turtle wax Ice along with Armor All's Wash and Wax soap. The soap by itself cleans the car but doesn't give it that nice shine BUT it does bead water. Turtle Wax Ice makes the car shiny but doesn't really bead water that well. I still have some 8 year old Zymol I need to apply to my DD, I can try and make a study from that but like I said, it's 8 years old lol
No problem Dave, as long as it helps people and others find it interesting, then I am happy.

It just like the wax adams makes. I bought some thinking what great wax it is and a lot of people like it but was not impressed with it at all and will stick to the meguiars. But what did work and still use it after wax is the adams detail spray. Makes it really shine. Bob I think you should come over so I can spray some on your spots of wax and show how good this stuff is. Sunday is good!

201 - 214 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.