Firebird Nation banner
181 - 200 of 214 Posts
Bob I have been using Meguiars NXT 2.0 for a while on my cars and customer cars. My friend has been using the Zaino and we have argued over which product was better. From your testing I can now put this debate to rest, although it was really close NXT 2.0 is better, quicker, cheaper, and will last longer. And as a bonus you can run down to the local parts place ( Auto Zone, Walmart, Advanced Auto, etc.) and pick some up. Great job Bob I look forward to the rest\next testing.
Thanks Jon. I am going to hold off before I make any claims as to which product is superior since we still have to validate the results from the last test. I am glad we stayed on tracked and tested each zone one more time in order to either validate or invalidate the results. I am really looking forward to testing them side by side so we can get better photos and videos of the zones side by side. I am still refining my testing techniques, videos, etc, so our tests will only improve from here on out. I hope we are able to continue to test many more products. It's a lot of work, but I think it's worth it since it will give all of us some hard data on which wax / polishes perform the best. I have a long list of different polishes / waxes I want to test.

Excellent job Bob. I just read through this all and I've got to say I'm impressed by the Meguiar's. I'm definitely curious to see how the next tests go.

I just read the test results and I am not surpprised that Meguiars and Zaino came out among the better performing polymer waxes.

I recall a consumer study a few years ago and Meguiars was one of the top products based on similar tests.

I have been using Meguiars for many years on black, dark red, white, silver and dark green cars with good success.

I like the wax because it is affordable and easy to remove from the car's painted surface. I am not cheap, but I look for value and performance.

I am still interested in the Fukken Wax because I am intrigued that this product can be sprayed on to any surface, metal, plastic, glass, painted plastic, etc and will not leave a residue.

I am cujrious if Fukken Wax is available for purchase in the lower United States.

I am looking forward to the head to head study between Meguiars and Zaino.

"I am cujrious if Fukken Wax is available for purchase in the lower United States."

Fukken Wax is available for purchase online and can be shipped to any location in the US, Canada, and even overseas. We do have a limited number of stores in the US that stock this as well, and I've personally stocked multiple store locations in Canada.

Bob excellent work! I have used the meguiars 2.0 for months now on all my vehicles and bike and I always get asked what I use on them. My car shines like crazy from it! I myself have tried several including adams and the meguiars out did it by far. I really like your test!

Discussion starter · #189 ·
Bob excellent work! I have used the meguiars 2.0 for months now on all my vehicles and bike and I always get asked what I use on them. My car shines like crazy from it! I myself have tried several including adams and the meguiars out did it by far. I really like your test!
Thanks Alan, and you are free to stop by anytime and check out the hood if you want to.

I have been using Meguiars products for years. Primarily their "Gold Class" wax. I picked up Some of the NXT 2.0, and personally, I still think the Gold class gives a better shine and lasts longer. Consumer Reports even rates the Gold class better than the NXT 2.0. The Gold Class costs almost half the price too. just seen it on sale for $8. I see they also advertise a new improved formula.

I have been using Meguiars products for years. Primarily their "Gold Class" wax. I picked up Some of the NXT 2.0, and personally, I still think the Gold class gives a better shine and lasts longer. Consumer Reports even rates the Gold class better than the NXT 2.0. The Gold Class costs almost half the price too. just seen it on sale for $8. I see they also advertise a new improved formula.
I will have to pick up some Gold Class we can see how it holds up to our testing. How did they measure shine and longevity?

I have to head out to work and don't have time to search for the Consumer reports test. It has been copied and saved by people as you need a membership to see it on their site. Try a search under "consumer reports auto wax". you should be able to locate it.

BTW: I added pics under my "Black Box" thread.

Discussion starter · #193 ·
I have to had out to work and don't have time to search for the Consumer reports test. It has been copied and saved by people as you need a membership to see it on their site. Try a search under "consumer reports auto wax". you should be able to locate it.
I have heard of this report before but I have never been able to find the actual report, not even on the website. I believe it was published in 2006 and they don't have that issue on the Consumer Reports site yet. The farthest back they go is 2009. I will keep trying to locate it, but it would be nice to know what kind of methods they used. All the summaries I find online, they don't mention any of the testing methods used.

Alright, I found the actual consumer reports and I will attach them here. The testing methods are on the last page of the report. Their shine testing was based on putting the panels side by side and having the testers view them to see which one was the shiniest, but this is highly subjective IMO, which is why I have stayed away from making any such claims regarding the shine and leave it up to you. In addition, it says the vehicles were owned by staff, yet no mention to how they made sure all vehicles were subjected to the same environment, if they were the ones used in the other testing.

I also noticed they used the same amount of wax / polish for each product, but some waxes and polishes require more while others require less. Zaino says less is better. I think it would have been better if they simply followed the manufacturers suggestions when using the products since each product is unique in it's application. Some suggest the use of other products in the line for the best results, such as Zaino and Meguairs. Zaino suggests Clay bar, ZAIO, Z2, Z5, and Z6, while Meguiars suggests Clay Bar, Scratch X, and NXT 2.0. I think in order to use each product to it's fullest potential, you have to follow the manufactures guidelines, as more normal individuals will.

In order to test longevity, they used a beading test, which is what we are using as well. One thing I have noticed in regards to beading is that even my roof, which hasn't seen a drop of wax for at least 4 years, still beads (with a rain simulated test), but the beads are irregular and flat. Beading also depends on the way the panel is sprayed. A light, simulated rain will produce different beading than heavily spraying the water on the panel. I noticed this right after starting this test and noticing the water on the hood after it rained. I came home, dried the hood, and tried to replicate the effects, which is now called the "rain simulated test" in our testing. One thing you might notice if you watch the last videos is how Zaino was still repelling the water nicely and the water was rolling down onto the Meguiars panel. On the other panels, the water appears to be sheeting instead of beading. Here is what I mean regarding bead testing:

Freshly treated surface:

Water Liquid Hood Azure Fluid

Untreated surface:

Blue Azure Water Electric blue Pattern

We can definitely see a difference, but at what point do we say the water is no longer beading? I guess it would be safe to say that when the beads look like photo 2, the wax is no longer beading, but getting to an agreement on when that exact thing occurs will probably be open to debate. Of course it would be easy to see which product is beading better and not sheeting after being sprayed.

This is where the drag test removes subjective speculation and gives us some hard data that we can look at to see how well the wax is still providing a slick barrier. I am sure you can find flaws in our testing as well, and if so, please point them out so we can improve them. Our only goal is to get good data.

I will add gold class to the list of waxes / polishes to test. Sorry for the long post, but I am learning a lot with these tests.

Attachments

Wow, Just got done reading all 10 pages worth of posts. Very interesting test(s). I thought zone 2 was the best in the beginning but quickly faded out and zone 1 was the clear winner. Zone 3 & 4 just plain sucked from the get-go. I personally have been using Turtle Wax ICE and the more I've used it, the more I hate it. Also, I'm not completely convinced on what the best product is out there. Giving your test or the consumer report test I'd like to see the the top products from a few different tests put up agains each other (ie; Black Majic vs Meguairs vs Turtle Wax vs ?). Just my

On a side note: I ordered some Amsoil & I should be recieving it this week. Thanks again Bob.

Because of this test, I went out and bought some NXT 2.0 and some swirl X. I already had some Clay Bar. I just clay bar'd, swirl x'd and NXT 2.0'd the Hood of my car and I must say, it has never looked better. Even in our less than perfect weather right now (Overcast and upper 40's) it looks great. I can't wait for a nice sunny day! Thanks Bob!

I know there might be better products out there, but I couldn't wait any longer.

Discussion starter · #198 ·
Because of this test, I went out and bought some NXT 2.0 and some swirl X. I already had some Clay Bar. I just clay bar'd, swirl x'd and NXT 2.0'd the Hood of my car and I must say, it has never looked better. Even in our less than perfect weather right now (Overcast and upper 40's) it looks great. I can't wait for a nice sunny day! Thanks Bob!

I know there might be better products out there, but I couldn't wait any longer.
That's great to hear, but we still have plenty of more testing to.

Man, that's a lot of posts to read through! Bob, I am planning to take LadyHawk off the road at the end of May. My daughter is getting her own car (a '96 Suburu Legacy with 28k miles on it!) so I will again be back in my daily driver. This will allow me lots of time to detail LadyHawk before the Nats.

My question - the silver paint has areas that have been impossible for my to get clean. I am the 5th owner and the car now has 104k on the clock. There are old bug and tar splatters that I'd love to get out before the trip. I've never used a claybar before and am thinking this might help. Your thoughts? By the way, I've been using the Meguires suite of products on Gray Ghost for over 6 years now. Although I kinda like the Black Magic spray detailer and tire shine better. For some reason, the Mequires seems to attract bees in my area. They must detect some fructose in it or a chemical derrivative of it. Same reaon I can't use orange GoJo on anything outdoors!

181 - 200 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.