Firebird Nation banner

Zaino vs Meguiars vs FUKKEN vs Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax Polish Study First Trials

62K views 213 replies 36 participants last post by  Alan70 
#1 ·
Which Zones Do You Think Performed The Best?
Week 1
Zone 11773.91%
Zone 2521.74%
Zone 300.00%
Zone 414.35%
Week 2
Zone 12086.96%
Zone 228.70%
Zone 300.00%
Zone 414.35%
Week 3
Zone 12295.65%
Zone 200.00%
Zone 300.00%
Zone 414.35%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you are reading this for the first time, the products are revealed on page 8 and 9, but if you want to view this study / test from an unbiased perspective, I would progress through this thread and view all the results, photos, videos etc and make up your own mind as to which zone is best before knowing which product was used there.

Alright, I decided to get started with the garage test. I am currently waiting for some waxes/polishes to cure, so I figured I would start out with how it's going so far.

If you would like to see more studies like this here on FBN, be sure to use the chip in or if you would like to send in your favorite wax for testing, shoot me a PM.

The Testing Protocol:

First of all, I am testing the following waxes/polishes this round. REMEMBER: THESE ARE NOT RELATED TO THE ZONES:

1. Zaino (Z-AIO, Z-2, Z-5, and the Z-6 Spray).

2. Fukken Wax

3. Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax

4. Meguiars NXT 2.0

It's about 70 degrees outside with very low humidity (about 9%) which is perfect weather and humidity for this test. Each wax/polish will get two coats of product in order to ensure the best coverage and the same amount of product. Since Zaino suggests waiting 12 to 25 hours between coats, I have decided to wait that long for each of the products.

I started off washing the car and then applied the cay bar to the hood:

Tire Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door

After the clay bar was applied decided it would be good measure to wash the hood again in order to remove any of the clay bar lubrication:

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

After this, I started the drag test using a 10 lb weight. I used a terry cotton cloth for this, but I wish I would have used a microfiber towel since it grabs the surface better. It doesn't really matter as I was just trying to get a baseline for the test, but I will use both terry and a microfiber for all future drag tests. In addition, I attained 10 readings from each zone (after it was taped off) and recorded every pull in order to get a good average. Every pull was very gentle, just enough to get the weight moving. Here is how it was performed using a digital scale (I know, not perfectly scientific, but it's the best I could do):

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

I will add more photos in a few minutes, but I have to go out and wipe of a coat of zaino and apply the spray between the coats.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is how I zoned the car for each wax/polish. When I am done today, I will post up some more photos of the car. You will noticed that I taped off an 8 inch above the hood line section as a control.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Aircraft Bumper

Gloves were used between each wax/polish in order to prevent cross contamination:

Hood Gesture Grey Comfort Knee

In addition, fresh micro-fiber towels were used for each zone:

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Immediate Results:

Prior to Wax/Polish Application:

I started off with a car wash and then applied the clay bar. This is the first time I have used the clay bar and I have to say I was very impressed with the results. The clay bar was only used in order to get the surface as clean as possible, but after the clay-bar, I decided to go ahead and wash the hood again in order to prevent any contamination.

I am not going to mention which wax/polish was used in each zone until the end of the study. This way I can get honest feedback from members without a bias. Here are the baseline drag numbers, measured in pounds and averaged after 10 pulls in each zone:

Vehicle Hood Aircraft Airplane Motor vehicle

Drag Test After Application:

Drag Test Before Wax but After Clay Bar:

Zone 1: 0.38

Zone 2: 0.36

Zone 3: 0.37

Zone 4: 0.38

Drag Test Results:

Each drag test was performed 10 times in each zone and then averaged. A 10 pound weight was used. Vehicle was parked in same location for each drag test performed.

100% cotton Towel:

Zone 1: 0 (could not get a reading as it would not stay on the hood)

Zone 2: 0 (could not get a reading as it would not stay on the hood)

Zone 3: 0.24

Zone 4: 0.65 (Drag actually increased, I will have to test this a second time to see if it's a fluke)

Microfiber Towel Results:

Zone 1: 1.4 lbs

Zone 2: 1.4 lbs

Zone 3: 2.0 lbs

Zone 4: 2.7 lbs

Application Time:

This time is based on the time to read the instruction, apply the product, and remove the product.

Chemical Guys: Shake, Apply wax, let dry, and wipe off. Total application and removal time: 11 minutes.

Fukken Wax: Shake can, spray on, rub in, let dry and remove. Total application and removal time: 5 minutes.

Meguiars NXT: Shake bottle, apply with special applicator, allow to dry, and wipe off. Total application and removal time: 15 minutes.

Zaino: Shake Zaino AIO, apply thin coat to paint and allow to dry. Wiped off after one hour. Apply Z-5 using same process and allowed to dry one hour. Removed the Z-5 with a few terry towels. Applied the the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer as per directed and then a coat of Z-2. Total application and removal time: 3 hours and 15 minutes. 12 hours if you include the 12 hour wait period between Z2 and Z5.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
After First Coat of Polish/Wax:

Lets post some of the after polish/wax photos. I hope these look decent:

These were taken in the garage:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Now lets see the close ups of each zone in the garage:

Zone 1:

Tarpaulin Azure Blue Automotive tire Hood

Zone 2:

Blue Window Azure Purple Gesture

Zone 3:

Cloud Azure Window Wood Sky

Zone 4:

Azure Window Gesture Wood Elbow

Now lets take a look out in the sun:

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Now lets see the close up of the zones:

Zone 1:

Hood Rectangle Sky Tints and shades Electric blue

Zone 2:

Water Atmosphere Azure Sky Rectangle

Zone 3:

Water Fluid Sky Liquid Rectangle

Zone 4:

Water Fluid Rectangle Sky Underwater

Subjective Results:

Smoothness:

These are numbered from 1 to 4 based on subjective smoothness, with 1 being the smoothest and 4 being the un-smoothest. Only one person was allowed to perform the subjective test at a time in order to not bias the others. Results were not revealed until all had completed their observation. In addition, no information about the drag results were known to anyone besides myself.

Teenage Daughter:

1: Zone 1

2. Zone 2

3. Zone 3

4. Zone 4

Wife:

1. Zone 1

2. Zone 2

3. Zone 3

4. Zone 4

Me:

1. Zone 1

2. Zone 2

3. Zone 3

4. Zone 4

Subjective visual assessment coming up later today.

Drag Test Results:

Each drag test was performed 10 times in each zone and then averaged. A 10 pound weight was used. Vehicle was parked in same location for each drag test performed.

100% cotton Towel:

Zone 1: 0 (could not get a reading as it would not stay on the hood)

Zone 2: 0 (could not get a reading as it would not stay on the hood)

Zone 3: 0.24

Zone 4: 0.65 (revised after second coat)

Microfiber Towel Results:

Zone 1: 1.4 lbs

Zone 2: 1.4 lbs

Zone 3: 2.0 lbs

Zone 4: 2.7 lbs

Attachments

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Now lets see the bead test results. First are close ups for each zone:

Zone 1:

Water Liquid Hood Azure Fluid

Zone 2:

Water Liquid Blue Fluid Moisture

Zone 3:

Water Liquid Fluid Moisture Liquid bubble

Zone 4:

Water Liquid Blue Azure Fluid

And now each zone next to it's respective control. Top is the waxed panel, and below is the untreated surface:

Zone 1:

Water Liquid Water resources Azure Fluid

Zone 2:

Water Liquid Fluid Aqua Material property

Zone 3:

Water Liquid Fluid Aqua Material property

Zone 4:

Water Water resources Liquid Azure Textile

And finally, some full hood shots with the different treated zones next to the controls:

Water Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror Asphalt

Liquid Water Window Automotive tire Hood

Cost Analysis:

Fukken Wax: shipped to my door: $23.00 17.50 fl. oz

Meguiars NXT 2.0: $18.00 18 fl. oz

Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax: shipped to my door: $24.38 16 fl. oz

Zaino: Z-AIO $26.95 16 fl oz., Z-2 $14.98 8 fl oz., Z-5 $16.95 8 fl oz., Z-6 $9.95 16 fl oz. Total for Zaino: $68.83 (without shipping).

I will hold off until the end of the study to make any kind of cost analysis as we need to know how long each product lasts.

Attachments

#9 ·
Dont wana guess which wax is where. But, one thing maybe for your test is see how each sections cleans up after getting dirty? I have noticed with a good wax, washing is easier. WOnder if theres a difference?

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Definitely Dan, this is a long term study, so we will be doing that for sure. If you have more ideas, keep them coming.

I will get more photos in a little while. There is a definite difference in feel when running your hand over the different sections, and the drag test confirms this. I will post the results of the drag test after a few brave souls try to guess which waxes/polishes went where.

#11 ·
Well I won't guess on the product to zone applications since I've never used any of the products but I gotta say zone #1 looks a lot deeper and richer. It seems to show the true paint color with a deep gloss. The other zones look as though they get progressivley cloudier and faint.

I'd be willing to buy the zone #1 product for sure. Can't wait to see the long term results.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
well zone 4 does not look any different from the control in the water test, so i doubt i would buy that product
i agree with Rick for sure on zone 1, looks the best to me, nice deep look, i will say zone one is Meguiars NXT 2.0, i love the brand and been using there products for many years so i guess i am bias to them

#16 ·
Your actually doing pretty darn good as there is no harder photography to do especially in sections.
I would maybe try a ladder and shoot down if possible, the hardest part and the reason why a cloudy day is so good is to avoid any reflections.
The most important part is to get a level amount of light coming across every area which is a nightmare in bright conditions.
When you hold the camera pointed at the truck look for the richest or deepest color with no reflections in your view screen.
The ladder idea might make it better to get wide shot's of the total area and tilting the camera downward helps eliminate unwanted light from changing the exposure.

Your doing one heck of a job so far! Lots of guys who now have homes on the fifth floor with free meds are car photographer's who just lost it.

#17 ·
oh and a possible sugestion on taking the pics mabe put some kind of print like a magazine or something so we can see the clearity or distortion of the image,

#19 ·
You know as cool as it is to see the photo's a lot of it is going to be what you see in person and your interpretation of the results.
It would be very cool to have other people close to you to offer their thoughts even just based on looks.
Maybe your wife and some neighbour's if possible?

Better yet, 4 model's in bikini's bent over with magnifying glasses on each section? We could settle this real quick!

#20 ·

I agree, if anyone reading this lives close to Reno, feel free to send me a PM and you can stop by and make your own assessment. I will ask the wife and kids and see what they think too. The Drag and bead tests will really help use assess it without being subjective. There is definitely a different feeling when rubbing your hand over each section, and although that is also subjective, it's supported by the drag tests. The long term bead and drag tests will be interesting to see. There is far more to this test besides the looks of course, which is why this is a long term test. I don't want to give any of my opinions on this as I want to wait until the end of the test in order to get the real results without bias. I have never used any of these waxes/polishes before, so I don't really care which one is better besides the fact that I will start using the one which comes in first.

In the next bead test, I will count the number of beads in a quarter size area, which will yield more information for us to analyze.

#22 ·
Alright, had the wife and teenage daughter go out and assess the surfaces and recorded their opinions as to which was the smoothest. Tomorrow I will get their opinions on how the looks as it's to dark now. What is interesting is that their assessment is very close to what the drag results say. Of course I am interested in which one will last the longest.

#25 ·
I like the beading better in zones 1 and 2. What are you spraying on the finish to make the beads?

Thanks for doing this Bob, I know everyone is interested in this test.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Kevin, I used distilled water from a squirt bottle.
After this one is over, I want to compare the two top contenders side by side, each using half the hood so I get have more testing locations.

Zaino suggests a second coat after 12 hours, so maybe I will just add another coat of each of the products tomorrow at the same time to keep a level playing field and to make sure Zaino is applied exactly as directed.

#29 ·
Quite pleased with how this is being conducted. I've got nothing to add and look forward to the results. Glad to see my time though. Now as long as you obtain similar results to what I do with my product and my clients do, I'll be quite pleased knowing our price is competitive and generates the same or similar quality to the rest of the playing field.

And I'd have to say Zone 1 is either Fukken Wax or Meguiars cause as Pete said, that's the shine I obtain with any vehicle I use either of those products on. Just to put my neck out there.

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
From the results shown so far I would definately say that I would go for Zone 1 but look forward to see how it all pans out.

It looks so much richer and fuller comparable with FW1 that they use at Texas Motor Speedway.

Too bad I wasnt driving near Bob's place. I woulda volunteered my semi for a good washing :p

As to zone guesses I would say:

Meguiar - 1

Fukken - 2

Zaino - 3

Better Butter - 4

But im probably utterly wrong.

OFF WITH MY HEAD!

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just to update the thread, I just finished with the second coat of Zaino Z-2. This is what Zaino suggests, and I want to use each product to it's fullest capabilities. It's sitting on the car until it's completely dry. To make sure we keep all products on the same playing field, I also gave a second coat to the other ones too. This is the only way to ensure all products have the same amount of wax/polish. I will update the other posts with new photos once the Zaino is dry and removed.

#33 ·
well Bob, your doing great, cant wait for the results. keep up the good work.

Reactions: FBN Firebird Nation
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.