Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Trans Am L78 Auto Buccaneer Red
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Honeycombs on my new to me 77 have been left to corode. While I can probably polish out some, I'm thinking about powder coating solid black then go with red calipers with a fresh Buccaneer Red paint job along with black windshield/rear glass trim....you get the idea.

If you have done a solid black powdercoat on these wheels I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
How have they corroded? They are clear-coated. Or where it has chipped or even damaged from gutter rash? All black would look horrible, and like a dodgy patch job that you couldn't give away after. I'd look into the actual issue first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How have they corroded? They are clear-coated. Or where it has chipped or even damaged from gutter rash? All black would look horrible, and like a dodgy patch job that you couldn't give away after. I'd look into the actual issue first.
Yeah... I'm going to give it a go to polish out the corrosion. I have no idea how they corroded, happened with the PO, sat in his garage. Very odd.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Grey Rim Wheel

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Did he have them blasted or something, they are horrendous. Or ordered them bare prior to having them shipwrecked?! What colour are they even meant to have been? I also have a set in my garage from when they first came out 12 years ago and are mint.

For sake of any confusion, they are snowflakes. Honeycombs are the earlier steel wheels with insert, although recently done as full aluminium for retro looks also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought them and sat in his garage on the car.. I asked if he had a salt based water softener or salt water pool nearby... none.. so I have no idea. I'll try to save them but not sure I can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They can be polished. I would take the tires off. Wet sand the shit out of them. Start with 600, light to medium pressure…then work up to 2000, then compound, then polish. It’s a lot of work…you’ll have sore hands…

·
Administrator
2,721 Posts
It's not only salt that can eat away at wheels. Any oxidizers in the garage such as fertilizer, perchlorates, peroxides, and acids are way more common and much more efficient. My brand new DRZ400SM didn't last 3 months sitting 8 feet away from an open bag of 6-6-6. Very corroded. Never saw rain or salt, but the aluminium and alloys looked just like your wheels. Nasty stuff. Heat and humidity probably play a huge role here too in regards to how long something can withstand the corrosive environment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts