Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wassup FBN long time, well as of late I been thinking about putting a x pipe on my bird. I found all the parts that needed,(That includes another cat) but since I have a v6, and I only have 3 o2 sensors, where would i mount the sensor at? And do I have to get a forth o2 sensor for the new cat? I live in California btw, so I'm trying to make this procedure as legal as possible. Any advice will help, thanks.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
Are you bolting this setup to the stock manifolds, in place of the stock Y-pipe, and adding a second cat?

You cannot relocate the cat or change the number of cats under Federal law. As far as I know, CA enforces Federal emissions law.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you bolting this setup to the stock manifolds, in place of the stock Y-pipe, and adding a second cat?
You cannot relocate the cat or change the number of cats under Federal law. As far as I know, CA enforces Federal emissions law.
The plan is to bolt the xpipe after the cat, I would think bolting both cats before the xpipe would work for emissions (Both CA legal too). It's better then just using one.. My real question is the o2 sensors, will I need another one for the new cat? and where would I mount them at?

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
If your car left the factory with one cat, you can't add a second cat, even if it reduces emissions. And you can't move the single cat from the stock location. If you add a second after-cat sensor for the new second cat, there is no place on the PCM to hook up an extra sensor.

Maybe you have a shop that will overlook this violation of Federal law.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts