Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If you're talking about the older LT1 Impala SS engine, then yes it can be swapped but there are quite a few differences between the Impala LT1 and the F-body LT1.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,522 Posts
It will swap, but not easily. I assume you are talking about the LT1 V8 from the 94-96 Caprice/Impala SS. That is the same as the LT1 engine used in the 93-97 V8 Firebirds and Camaros, except it has cast iron heads instead of aluminum heads, lower compression ratio, smaller cam and lower HP rating. To put any LT1 in a 93-97 V6 car, you need the complete K-member (lower engine support cradle) from a 93-97 V8 Firebird or Camaro. Then you need a transmission. Then you need a 1-piece driveshaft. Then if you don't have the Y87 option with the limited slip differential and rear disc brakes, you will need the rear axle assembly form a V8 car. Also will need heavier front springs, with the added wieght of the V8 engine and the heavy cast iron heads on the Impala LT1. And you will need a PCM (computer) from a 94-97 V8 Firebird or Camaro, and a complete engine/PCM wiring harness. And it's not likely the oil pan will fit. Need one from an F-Body LT1. Exhaust manifold will probably not fit. Need those from the F-Body LT1 as well.

Now you have an Impala LT1, and the front accessory mount will not match the engine compartment of the V6 F-Body (Firebird/Camaro). So you would need a front accessory mount from an F-Body LT1, and all the accessories that don't interface with the corresponding Impala parts. May need a different PS pump, alternator, AC compressor, serpentine belt and idler.

At this point if you aren't discouraged, go for it. But it would be an awful lot easier to start with the LT1 from an F-Body. Or just buy a V8 car.

·
*DARK KNIGHT*
531 Posts
^ i agree...itss too much trouble and would end up being too costly with all the extras you would need ...and for what? to make less hp than the LT's that came in the birds those years? not worth it in my opinion... itd be in your best interest to find a wrecked LT1 bird... or find an LT engine with all the accessories....theyre not that expensive compared to the LS1's ...cuz those are the ones that people like to get their hands on

·
just another car guy
1,705 Posts
I will take the other approach, I think he may be talking about the 2000+ 3.8L V6 engine. If thats the case yes it can be done but you will need to take several parts from the original 3.8 and put on the new 3.8, oil pan and all motor mounting stuff, throttle body assembly. I am sure there is a write up on here, I will see if I can find it.
Albert

If you are talking about puting a LT1 in a V6 car here is some info for you...http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121156&st=0

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
The 3800 Series II Impala is FWD. The swap, again, would be very difficult. The block would need to be stripped down of all accessories. At that point, it'd be cheaper to find a Fbody engine.

·
*DARK KNIGHT*
531 Posts
agreed....definately try to get it from an f body.....tell us how your search goes....we're here for help. advice, input. 2 cents. and all that good stuff, and we love to hear about projects, cuz its a learning experiance for all of us, then u could help someone in the future given your experiance of what youve done to yours....keep us posted bro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I really find EVERYTHING here @ FBN very helpful! Now my bird is a v6 and the guy working on her told me this (swap the Impala motor with my blown 1) I'm really starting to have doubts because i know he's not going to do all that! now he told me it's hard to find my motor so he has had her a while now (too long) and i has hopeing that he wasn't just blowin smoke about the switch out OR jus replaceing parts and not switching motors at all AND i really don't want less of anything power wise so i will let you guys know how this all go's down as it does and again thanks a bunch! oh yeah maby even shoot me some questions that i can ask him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will swap, but not easily. I assume you are talking about the LT1 V8 from the 94-96 Caprice/Impala SS. That is the same as the LT1 engine used in the 93-97 V8 Firebirds and Camaros, except it has cast iron heads instead of aluminum heads, lower compression ratio, smaller cam and lower HP rating. To put any LT1 in a 93-97 V6 car, you need the complete K-member (lower engine support cradle) from a 93-97 V8 Firebird or Camaro. Then you need a transmission. Then you need a 1-piece driveshaft. Then if you don't have the Y87 option with the limited slip differential and rear disc brakes, you will need the rear axle assembly form a V8 car. Also will need heavier front springs, with the added wieght of the V8 engine and the heavy cast iron heads on the Impala LT1. And you will need a PCM (computer) from a 94-97 V8 Firebird or Camaro, and a complete engine/PCM wiring harness. And it's not likely the oil pan will fit. Need one from an F-Body LT1. Exhaust manifold will probably not fit. Need those from the F-Body LT1 as well.

Now you have an Impala LT1, and the front accessory mount will not match the engine compartment of the V6 F-Body (Firebird/Camaro). So you would need a front accessory mount from an F-Body LT1, and all the accessories that don't interface with the corresponding Impala parts. May need a different PS pump, alternator, AC compressor, serpentine belt and idler.

At this point if you aren't discouraged, go for it. But it would be an awful lot easier to start with the LT1 from an F-Body. Or just buy a V8 car.
What if I have a 96 lt1 fb what would I need to do for the impala lt1 swap and is it less hp?

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,522 Posts
Should be a direct bolt in for a 96 V8 F-Body. You would swap your Firebird LT1 accessories mount and accessories to the Impala LT1. Check the knock sensors - the Impala engine will have two, one on each side of the block. Use only the passenger side, and replace it with the knock sensor from your LT1. Oil pan may be different. Exhaust manifolds from your Firebird LT1. Water pump connections are slightly different. PCM should be reprogrammed to reflect the differences in the camshaft.

You will be adding extra weight to the front end, You will have an engine with a smaller camshaft, making 260 HP/330 lb-ft torque, vs. your aluminum head engine making 285 HP/335 lb-ft torque.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts