Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, new to the forum, just a couple quick questions reguarding performance chips. i have a 2000 with the 3.8, 3.43 gears i believe (the lower gears offered), with minor upgrades as a modified air box, freer flowing exhaust, and 180 thermostat, looking to trow some headers on soon, and have been looking into chips to increase performance with my bolt ons. ive heard mixed reviews on the subject, but im just looking to utilize the top potential of my little v6. it already gets up and goes better than any of the other v6's around my town, and even a few of the v8's, just that damn speed limiter kills me at about 118mph. it still handle great with the cooper cobras at that speed, it has the y87 package so it has the heavier suspension and steering, just curious if any of these chips like Jet Performance 10019S or anything similar could push me over that 118? I already know i'll need better tires, as that is right at the tire rating right now, i just like to b able to pick up a few more mph down these empty flat highways out in rural Illinois, know what i mean?! As well as any power increase or acceleration increase too. i got a line on a cheap jet chip right now out of a wrecked bird, and again, its mainly the increase in mph i'm lookin for, if there is no gain in mph than at least i wont have to buy some Z rated tires! thanks in advance to any insight, positive or negative!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been looking into reprogramming my car as well, but with the goal of lowering the rev limit. Anyhow from what I've learned it should be able to increase your top end. If you want to make sure email Jegs, Jet or research your particular product online to find out. I think the problem you'll run into is that my understanding is the the programmer is only good for one vin number and can not be used for two cars. In other words a used one would be trash to you unless it was originally used with your car.

On a side note, research some threads on here about top end in our 3.8. My understanding is that things (transmission?) start to leak and break very quickly at that top end. I have run mine up to about 115 about 100 times in 4 hours on a front straight while racing and the bearing spun ending our weekend.

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
If the jet is anything like the hypertech, 1 vin tuner, it would store the original bin file car had and owner could revert back to that vin. This unlocks the tuner so a new owner can use it. But if buying used, good luck with finding someone that unlocked theirs before selling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts