Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2000 3800 firebird and can't decide on a cam to buy. I'm looking at intense stage x1 or zzp gt1 cam. Is there a big difference between the two? What are your opinions. What valvesprings would you guys run with these? I'm looking at 90# ls6, 105# crow cam, and comp cams 105#.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was on the same boat man, I'm gonna go with the intense s1x cam. I've watch a lot of videos from the two, I think the intense cam sounds pretty good. Depending on your set up as well. I have a 2001 firebird 3.8 with the Y87 package. I been debating for months and finelly made my decision lol. And for the valve springs, valve retainers etc, it should have the requirements listed. Stick with the single timing chain since your only getting a stage one cam, but get a better one. Intense racing has some timing chains for sale on their site.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I agree, Intense S1x for N/A 3800 is one of the better performance cams without getting crazy with it. I recommend a single timing chain(new), 90 lb. valve springs, and LS7 lifters. If you are going to rev it up past 6300RPM, get the comp cams OE-R lifters with 105 springs. I have a spreadsheet parts list with URL's if your interested. I'm going to be doing this on a 00 bird in early summer.

Don't forget about getting a tune afterwards ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the intense sx1 a more aggressive cam. I had the gt1 cam in my bird but I didnt get much time to try it out before a connecting rod blew for a reason unknow. I wasn't planning on getting another timing chain but you guys think it's a good idea.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yup, I already grab thoses comp camp roller lifters. I have everything for the heads in my part pile I just need some gaskets and the cam. Then installation time.
Is the intense sx1 a more aggressive cam. I had the gt1 cam in my bird but I didnt get much time to try it out before a connecting rod blew for a reason unknow. I wasn't planning on getting another timing chain but you guys think it's a good idea.
It's definitely a good idea to get one just cause your getting a stronger cam. Might as well just get a stronger timing chain too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay will do. I was looking at the intense website and they also suggest buying new lifters and rods but I'm thinking that I can get away with using the stock ones?!?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and in regard to getting the PCM tuned,does zzp do a better tune or intense? I have a shift kit and it said to remove torque management, and abuse mode. What is the difference and should I just reduce it or totally take it off?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh and in regard to getting the PCM tuned,does zzp do a better tune or intense? I have a shift kit and it said to remove torque management, and abuse mode. What is the difference and should I just reduce it or totally take it off?
See that I don't know. I got a shift kit in mines and I haven't gotten a tune yet.. I do have a hypertech device which let's you play with the transmission settings, its also good with shift kits as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Intense doesn't tune vehicles. If you are close to them, they have a dyno tuner in Dayton that they will recommend to you. If you want a decent cheaper tune, than just get yours done by pcmforless.com. If you really want to juice it for power to get the most out of the cam, then find a semi-local dyno-tuner that has experience with f-body's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.