Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 firebird looking to replace my hood with a 400.
Doing reseach on which manufacturer makes the best fit hood.
Also is anyone selling a 400 hood

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I see stock hoods in varying conditions on Craigslist all the time. If I needed a hood, I'd find an original in good condition.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Try expanding your search. I use search tempest to search craigslist. It gives you the option of going out a few miles from your home zip code, all the way up to the entire country.

You also need to search often as new stuff gets added all the time. You might get lucky and find a pristine used original. Or a new old stock GM replacement. Be prepared to open the wallet deep for the nos hood, if found.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Hopefully someone will chime in with a good aftermarket hood. In my opinion it is just such an important piece that I would want to find an orignal. If you're patient, I think you should be able to. I use an app called Craigslist Pro on my phone, it's probably similar to the program Robert mentioned, it lets me specify all the nearby areas I want to search and lets me save searches. Right now there's 3 different hoods in my search areas, the one 400 hood looks to be in terrible shape.

You might call frankspontiacparts.com , he doesn't have a hood listed, but he may know where to find one or have one that isn't listed.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I bought a AMD 400 hood but I haven't installed it yet I will in a couple weeks after the fenders are installed

It looks like a quality part but fit will be the test

Tableware Wood Sleeve Eyewear Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow AMD looks good. Is it metal thin or thick? What site did you order the hood.
Thanks everyone for your help. Also I was thinking of putting 70 door mirrors on my bird anyone have experience with those mirrors.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
The metal is every bit as thick its a little wavy down the drivers side edge nothing a little body filler wont fix.

I picked up mine at summit here's one a jegs for $296.00

http://www.jegs.com/i/UNKNOWN/106/300-5567-1/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710705620&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180003463165&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0sq2BRDRt6Scrqj71vQBEiQAg5bj05c0vLtoujmZovfNY6DTX-KaNBAzog2ppnYSdfSkjeMaArHw8P8HAQ

And one from summit same price and probably free shipping

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/auto-metal-direct/part-type/hoods/product-line/auto-metal-direct-hoods/year/1969/make/pontiac/model/firebird

Here's a review on it from summit

Amazing quality. One of my guys over 25 years doing restoration and body work tells me this is one of the best reproduction parts he has ever seen. double boxed when shipped. No damage at all bolted right up. Thank you.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
AMD has the best presses....hands down.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Summit shows theirs shipping on March 7th

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just called again back order . AMD keeping pushing the date back.
Question does the hood have the dent on the corners were the rubber bumper sites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts