Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is it just my imagination or has activity on this board really slacked off? Not unusual to see a week or more go by without new posts. This was unheard of a few years ago.
A few thoughts/questions:
-Are folks just migrating to other platforms, such as Facebook or Instagram?
-Is interest waning in 60s muscle cars? A close friend has been involved in 40s/50s Street Rods for about 25 years and says interest in those has declined significantly, to the point that our areas oldest street rod club is on the verge of closing as membership has fallen from about 50 people to just a handful...and this was well underway before the COVID pandemic. No young people coming into it. Maybe interest in 60s cars is just lagging by a decade or so?
Just wondering.

·
Administrator
3,390 Posts
The newest firebird is now 19 years old. We are living in a society that values new stuff. The latest smart phone or tv. New cars, not old ones. People move to new places, frequently.

It seems most young people might buy a firebird, because it's sporty and has a low price. But when things go wrong with the car, and they always do, most of the younger crowd will move on to something else.

It's the old school guys & gals that seem to have the sticking view with these cars. But like the cars themselves, we are getting older all the time.

The forum gets a regular influx of new members. Most of which post a few times then move on. Had one of this type of member call me a dummy yesterday on another forum that specializes in firebirds & camaros. So I guess young people know it all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think its a combination of things including these forums being undervalued and replaced by Facebook and the like, a less than welcoming attitude toward the younger generations interested in cars, the lack of information and resources for whats becoming, lets face it, dying skills such as building a muscle car era engine and tuning it and carburetors, and ridiculously overpriced junk from the muscle car era.

Overall, the muscle car hobby, especially for 60s-70s cars is too expensive to get into now.

I remember ten years ago being 24 years old buying my first trans am at $6800. MINIMAL rust (almost non existent), good interior, rebuilt engine and trans (engine was rebuilt but ended up having its own issues though did have a lot of new parts, trans not so sure it was rebuilt but it worked fine), need some bodywork and paint. I was told I overpaid then. Now, you see an 80-81 Firebird with a 90k mile 301, rusty quarters, clapped out interior and ratted paint and they guy wants $12k.

Theres probably no way Id be able to afford a project car at my skill level now. If I hadnt bought mine when I did I mean.

Now consider youre able to actually afford a beat up old muscle car but youre not sure how to work on it. Its not like you can go down the street to your local mechanic. Sure, you can send your motor out to be rebuilt but what young kid has the money for that? Ok do it yourself you say. Cant do that without a few specialty tools and the know-how. People gonna walk you through that on a forum? Ive seen plenty of times new members, regardless of age, ask a slew of engine questions only to be ignored. And I dont think its cause people are mean on these forums at all. Quite the opposite. Especially Firebird forums for some reason. Some of the nicest people Ive encountered on forums. But there just arent many experts online anymore.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sea Dog don't let it get you down. When things go wrong , they always come back looking for answers instead of doing a little research and getting their hands dirty.

I'm not sure what a PY Board is or how they can dominate a forum.

I don't have much free time. I am only here on the forum when I'm at work, on my break.

My 2002 Firebird V6 is finally on the road and legal.

If I remember correctly, when I was young, I Knew Everything, too! Lol

Love and Tolerance go a long way to Peace and Serenity!

Pete :)

·
Administrator
2,576 Posts
Love and Tolerance go a long way to Peace and Serenity!

Pete :)
Love and ACCEPTANCE go a long way to Peace and Serenity! ...there, fixed that for you. Love and tolerance can not be used in the same sentence, unless of course it's this one. Acceptance is what this world needs. Tolerance only works until we hit our threshold for putting up with other peoples crap and then loose our $#!t. We do not have to "tolerate" the things we "accept". Think about it.

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,049 Posts
Ya know, a while back I thought the forum was dying very quickly because of no new posts showing up for me. ZumpTA instructed me how to reset the new content by time period or something and all of a sudden I could see all the threads again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I visit this site along with other pontiac boards.One first gen thread on PY has had over 3000 views since Oct 20.Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great topic for discussion. First off FACEBOOK definitely has a direct effect on a lot of automotive forums activity. Especially the ones where younger folks hang out. As a Pontiac owner of several cars over the past 40 years, I'm now down to a couple Vibes (GM badged Toyota Matrix) and a G8GT, where I'm active on a couple of their forums. Activity has dropped of due to personal interest, Our cars not being built anymore, disposable income is down for a lot of folks therefore no $$$ for these rare muscle cars, and a complete overall priority change of lifestyle due to Covid-19. Lucky for me, retirement is right around the corner where I plan on staying active on these forums and help others out.

·
Registered
1997 firebird 3.8 Y87 5 spd
253 Posts
for what is worth i love my 3.8 y87 bird.

bought it 2 years ago and been my dd ever since.

i'm not much help to the forum, i know, and i'm sorry about that.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,331 Posts
Facebook put a huge hit on membership and activity. But with Facebook there is no way store technical info to help others. With a forum you can search all the forum posts for answers to your questions. Plus we have created a section just for posts with technical info that is frequently used.

I know some people don't care, but we also had a decline in activity when we lost our chat room. The chat room allowed people to visit with each other with instant response.

Check your settings if you use the View New Content. I keep mine set to Past 2 Weeks. It shows any post with activity within the last 2 weeks. If I need to see something further back I can quickly change the setting for a longer time frame.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the old school guys & gals that seem to have the sticking view with these cars. But like the cars themselves, we are getting older all the time.
I think this is a big part of it. An "aging out" of interest in 60's cars. They say that when you can afford it you will buy the cars that you coveted in your youth, so the folks entering this demographic now were coveting 80's Mustangs, Camaros, and Firebirds, not to mention the imports that have really grown in popularity. This is why the street rod clubs for cars of the 40's and 50's are folding up. I guess this means that garages across the country are filling up with neglected street rods and our vintage cars are next...for the second time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm 57 and the younger guys who work for me desperately want my 68 400 4 speed. They love and admire it. But easier to pick up 90's or 2000's stang and have a nice weekend ride. But at the end of the day they still want to own a real 60's or 70's muscle car eventually. Kind of like I wished I could get a early Vette back in the 80's but no way for me. I don't think prices are going down or interest is going away. That's a good thing so these buggies get preserved.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
In my humble narrow minded opinion (HNMO for the texting crowd), the 'birds that were built in the late '60's and through the '70's were just cars to us older dudes. We drove the hell out of them and had great times. A lot of my friends had SS396 Camaro's and Chevelle's, '69 or '70 Mustangs and some Mopars. One guy had '69 GTO, and another had a '69 442, all in the hands of high school kids.

Cars seem to rust out quicker back then, and at 70k - 80k miles on them the original owners were trading them in, or selling them for $1,200. Most of these cars ended up wrecked, or went to the junkyard with a blown engine.

I hung on to my '71 TA, not because I knew it would be a rare Pontiac someday, I kept it because it was a blast to drive, it was paid off, and I could keep it running by working on it myself. So how is a young person supposed to score a late '60's or '70's Firebird. Most of them are either a basket case, crushed, or in decent shape and the seller wants a big chunk of cash for it. Those of us who have these old Pontiacs are the keepers of the flame, we are the lucky ones.

But.....there are plenty of newer cars that are pretty damn quick. I embraced the modern times years ago an bought HP Tuners and learned how to be a "modern motorhead", plus my newer Mustang GT was begging for some modifications and tuning . Q-Jets and points distributors, or even HEIs, both with mechanical advance weights were great for their time, but that was 40 - 50 years ago.

There are a lot of young people interested in cars and engines that I see at car shows. They think it's cool that an old dude can talk about VE tables, and deceleration fuel cut off tuning stuff. Hot rodding is very much alive and well. Hopefully, the Firebird will rise from the ashes once again someday - it really was a great car.

·
Administrator
3,390 Posts
Yes, when I was a teen my 1st car was a 57 chevy 2 door hardtop. But to me, it was just an old car at the time. How I wish that I still had it. Can't touch a decent one now for less than $40K

·
Registered
74 Posts
That was like me first car 1967 Firebird 400 yellow. Got her in 69 for a thousand dollars. From my locker partner in high school. Wish I never sold here. Fifty some years later here I am with my second one 30.000 dollars later. A lot of people made that mistake. Oh I sold my first firebird so I could buy a 1966 MG B wish I still had that one also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think TAC/trans am country is the one site that REALLY slacked off over the years. Yeah, PY does* have volume. Seems this site is doing fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great topic for discussion. First off FACEBOOK definitely has a direct effect on a lot of automotive forums activity. Especially the ones where younger folks hang out. As a Pontiac owner of several cars over the past 40 years, I'm now down to a couple Vibes (GM badged Toyota Matrix) and a G8GT, where I'm active on a couple of their forums. Activity has dropped of due to personal interest, Our cars not being built anymore, disposable income is down for a lot of folks therefore no $$$ for these rare muscle cars, and a complete overall priority change of lifestyle due to Covid-19. Lucky for me, retirement is right around the corner where I plan on staying active on these forums and help others out.
Us old farts will be needed when the youngsters grow up and learn they aren't as brilliant as they think

1 - 20 of 24 Posts