Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have to Replace the Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly on the Passenger Side due to the ABS Speed Sensor, and yes I feel it acting up when braking. I am working on a 2001 Firebird Con't V6.

1. - Should I replace both Driver and Passenger side?

2. Do the brands matter?

a. Moog

b. WJB

c. Timken

d. PrimeChoice

e. 365hubs

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
If one side is bad, other side is probably on it's way out also. Timken used to be a quality brand, but who knows now. Try to find a bearing assembly made in US, Japan, or Germany.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
Do you have the "ABS INOP" light? What does "I feel it acting up when braking." mean.... what "acting up"? If the sensor is bad, ABS will be disabled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the "ABS INOP" light? What does "I feel it acting up when braking." mean.... what "acting up"? If the sensor is bad, ABS will be disabled.
Yes I have the "ABS INOP" light Randomly while braking in good weather, it feels like ABS kicking in for no reason.

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
Does the ABS feel like it kicks in about 10-ft before you think the car is going to stop, the ABS cycles briefly, extending the stopping distance? How did you determine that the problem is specific to a particular front ABS sensor? Has it been scanned for ABS codes? Have you checked the harness connector, and tried blowing dirt/dust away from the sensor?

Just trying to determine if you are buying the hub assembly based on conclusive diagnostics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the ABS feel like it kicks in about 10-ft before you think the car is going to stop, the ABS cycles briefly, extending the stopping distance? How did you determine that the problem is specific to a particular front ABS sensor? Has it been scanned for ABS codes? Have you checked the harness connector, and tried blowing dirt/dust away from the sensor?

Just trying to determine if you are buying the hub assembly based on conclusive diagnostics.
Yes, I have cleaned the cable connector and visually checked the rest of the cable. My Actron auto scanner CP9680 is showing the code, for the Front Right Wheel Bearing.

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
OK. Just checking, because I've seen this problem result from metal particle buildup on the rear sensor. If you've pulled the code, you're good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts