Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Firebird Formula / 400ci 6.6L V8 / TH350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When originally rebuilding my engine I repainted the entire engine bay and engine itself. years later it has faded way worse than i thought it would and the frame paint is peeling. i used a high temp engine paint for the block, heads, valve covers and a high temp frame paint for the fame that i sprayed on with with a spray gun. to prep everything I completely grinded down all the old paint and cleaned the surface with alcohol and let it dry. what type of paint and or what else was i supposed to do to prep the surfaces to make the paint last and stay on the surfaces

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird 1994 3,4l L32
50 Posts
How did you prepare the surface? Is the high temperature paint two component? I only painted the engine block and everything connected with it with high temperature (valve covers, oil pan, power steering ...). The rest of the engine compartment, subframe, front stabilizer and levers are acrylic enamel. No problem. The main thing is to properly prepare the surface, observe the proportion and application technology.

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird 1994 3,4l L32
50 Posts
Perhaps it also happened due to the lack of soil for the base. That's why I asked for the number of components in your paint. Judging by the process that you described, there was only mechanical trimming (removal of old paint and corrosion, if any), degreasing and paint application. Before painting it is necessary to apply a primer for better adhesion.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,975 Posts
Frame probably should have been (professionally) media blasted. "Grinding" isn't going to get into the crevices and corners, or even remove all the deep rust.

Reactions: andmack94

·
Registered
1975 Firebird Formula / 400ci 6.6L V8 / TH350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frame probably should have been (professionally) media blasted. "Grinding" isn't going to get into the crevices and corners, or even remove all the deep rust.
I will probably take the engine and trans back out and have that done at some point so I can make sure it’s good next time around. Thank you 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts