Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all

I went over a bad bump and somehow caused my 1996 4 speed Automatic Trans AM to get stuck in 3rd gear when in Drive position. I can manually shift down to second and back to third but it shifts hard and ive lost 4th gear all together.

Any guesses as to what has happened? Is it worth fixing what I got? What model transmission do I have in there now anyways? Should I upgrade to a manual transmission? If yes what make and model transmission what be the least troublesome and cost effective to install?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Car uses 4L60E transmission. You need to hook up to an obd 2 scanner. There are engine codes that cause trans not to shift into all gears. Also transmission codes.

If you replace the auto with another auto trans, it needs to be a 96 or 97 4l60E. Other years have compatibility problems.

If you decide to go manual, the 6 speed t-56 is what to get. However, other things besides the transmission itself would need to be changed. The complete clutch assembly including clutch hydraulic system, flywheel, and pedal assembly.

Then your rear end is probably a 2.73 ratio. This was the most common gear set used by factory. A 3.42 is needed for manual trans, or 3.70, 4.11, etc.

Plus other changes that need to be made.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Sounds like the shifter cable or it's mounting bracket is bent or broken. Someone has to get under the car and inspect it. Here are a couple of photos of mine (same transmission, different engine)

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Had a car of mine that had the bracket at the shifter end get bent. Trans wouldn't go into all gears. Bent bracket back and it fixed problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts