Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Out of a 91 camaro I picked up a T5 transmission, clutch, flywheel, wiring harness, ecm, pedals, etc. and I'm thinking about putting it into my 89 formula firebird. Since I have a third gen do I need to use the ECM out of the camaro or re-flash the one already in my car?

I also don't want to put something in that's just going to go to crap anytime soon. The whole point of the car for me is drifting, dohnuts, etc. I understand that will wear on any transmission but would it be a bad idea to go with this T5? I've had one guy say the T5 won't last long at all (not sure which parts he was talking about specifically, just said it wouldn't). If it's not a good idea to use then I have a T5 to sell with everything you need to hook it up if someone wants it. Since the auto trans in it won't go past 2nd gear anymore I'll probably do the swap just in the mean time even if it isn't the best and just take it a little easier.

So I guess the bottom lines are:

1. Will the T5 be garbage?

2. If it won't last, what specifically won't last? (clutch, gears,housing, etc.?)

3. For getting it in either way, do I need the ECM from the camaro I pulled everything from or a flash; or can I just run what's stock in my 89 firebird right now?

4. Does anybody want to buy what I've got?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
If the t-5 you have is stock, it won't last a long time with high performance driving. If you have a 350 in your car, that's another nail in the coffin lid.

The parts in the t-5 were not made for high horse power or torque. Even GM would not put the t-5 behind the 350 3rd gens because they knew they would be doing a lot of warranty replacements.

They make aftermarket t-5's that will stand up to high performance driving.

Your 89 ecm can't be reflashed like the 94 and up computers can. The 89 ecm has a removable prom module. The prom module will need a new chip programmed for it to delete your automatic data. Or if you have a 305, you can buy a prom module with the correct chip for a manual 89 formula. That is if your engine is still factory.

The program in your prom module is listed under what is called "broadcast codes" If you private message me with your e-mail address I can send you a pdf file listing all the broadcast codes for GM cars from about 1981 to 1993.

If your engine has mods then a new chip will probably be needed.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
305 came with the oem quality t-5. They are good for some spirited driving but if you thrash it, it will break. As said before, 350 3rd gens all were automatics.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
T5 + 350 = BOOM!

They are junk by design. The sliders have tiny weak teeth on them, the sucky brass blocker rings wear out way too fast, the dogs on the clutch hubs are pressed steel instead of solid nodular iron, the spring clips on them are too small by design and provide crap pressure on the sliders, the bearings on them are simple roller type instead of the opposed cone type on the world class T5s. The gear teeth are ground at an angle which creates thrust loading on the counter shaft distorting the case under heavy throttle..which then screws up the fork alignment...I could go on and on....ive built probably 500+ of these junkers.

Ford was smart and used the world class T5 with better ratios and correct thrust bearing types on the counter shaft...problem is none of the parts are inter-changeable with the GM case....

Get a T56 or a TKO...end of story.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for giving more info on what goes wrong with the t5. We'll see what I decide to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts