Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a 98 firebird Formula and this car has had many mods. Firstly, it's right hand drive.

Secondly, the head unit is not original.

In it's place is a Pioneer DEH-6450BT.

Originally, I had some very strange problems. The speakers near the rear seats where not working. The speakers in the hatch where barely audible and the door speakers... they worked, but not very well at all.

I installed some 4" speakers in the rear hatch, that just made things a little worse.

Turned out that I had some wiring issues... I suspect that during the conversion from 6 way to 4 way, there might have been an amp put in somewhere, then taken out.

Either way, now, thanks to an auto electrician, I now have a 4 way system, however, now I only have the front door speakers working, without any tweeters and the speakers near the rear seats are working as well.

But the over all sound it not great.

So, I have two questions:

1. Can I get the rear hatch speakers (they are only 4") hooked in, without problems? Being a 4 way system, I've ben told that if I add the two at the back, then it adds too much resistance, plus... someone pointed out that the speakers are just sitting on thin plastic, so even if they are hooked in, they will vibrate like mad, so I'm not sure if there is a solution that would work here?

2. Speakers... should I replace the door speakers with component speakers, or can I just add tweeters to the existing speakers? What about the ones at the rear seat?

Any recommendations on products? I have found some review websites, but the problem with a lot of the suggested products are :

a) they are usually insanely expensive

b) they are sometimes products that we don't get here in Australia

Note: I am not looking for crazy LOUD, but certainly some clarity with volume would be great. I like all sorts of music... but I like music with "ooomph", rock music, acid house... not watered down twaddle music.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
The secret to adding more speakers is to not wire them in series but in parallel. When you wire components in series, the resistance is the sum of all the resistances.

But when you wire components in parallel, the resistance will be less than the resistance of the components. Ask GaryDoug as he will have the formula for resistance in parallel committed to memory.

Or do a search on series and parallel resistance and find out how to figure out the total resistance of your speaker circuit. And I'm pretty sure you can find info on wiring multi speakers to one output circuit of head unit.

As a warning, most amps have a minimum resistance requirement for speaker hook up. Going below this minimum can damage your amp.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
If it had the Monsoon option, it left the factory with 10 speakers - mid & high range in the pods in each front door, mid & high range on each side in the hatch area (2 speakers under each oval grille) and a low range next to each rear seat (sometimes referred to as "subs"). There was a seperate amp for the subs in the rear of the car. Appears someone bypassed the sub amp, hence no sound from the speakers next to each rear seat.

If that describes your car, I would attempt to replicate the original system, reactivating the sub amp if it's still there, or replacing it. The factory wiring, if they reused it for the new system, tends to be a very light gage, and will benefit from upgraded wiring, if you are going for big sound.

You can find a complete description of the base and the Monsoon systems, including wiring diagrams, in the 1998 factory manual. Link to free download in a pinned thread ar the top of the Fourth Generation forum.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I recommend Dual 3-way 6.5" speakers for all F-Body's that are not using subwoofers/aftermarket amps. They have very good frequency range and response, and have AMAZING low frequency volume. In my 96 firebird, standard audio system from the factory. 4 6.5" dual 3-way speakers, and a Dual headunit. As soon as i enable the equalizer to "rock", the audio system sounds like i've installed a 500W 12" sealed subwoofer.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-DS653-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speaker/dp/B000GK8Q78

The Bass is clear, and louder/deeper than i have ever heard from a 6.5" speaker. Better than JVC's or pioneers that i have installed previously.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
For the 98, except for 4-speaker base systems, the amplifier is in front of the spare tire and drives all speakers, except the 4 tweeters in the doors and hatch compartment.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts