Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my case I needed a car after graduating college, starting my first job, and no ordinary car would do. After a lengthy search, I spotted a black '78 Trans Am with gold hood decal sitting in a local dealer's used car lot surrounded by several other hot Firebirds, Formulas, and TAs right off a busy street. A banner hung overhead with the words "Trans Am Alley." I was hooked and there was no cure for the fever that struck me. I drove the car home that night. What's your story???

· Registered
47 Posts
Always had an interest since purchasing my first TA brand new in 1976 at the age of 22.
Then a 1981 TA.

Now I'm about to be 69 next month, and I have 2 convertibles. A 91 TA WS6 305, and my recent purchase a 94 TA LT1 350 with 22,000 original miles.

· Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
5,456 Posts
We had 4 drivers all going different directions. For vehicles we had dad's company truck and a 67 Mustang. Dad went out to buy another car to have for everyone to drive. He came home with the 71 Formula that I still own today.

After I had the car restored, dad told me it probably wasn't the wisest car choice for 2 teenage girls. I disagree. Neither of us got a ticket in it or had a wreck. Besides who doesn't love a 400 4 speed????

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
My second new car (ordered from a dealer) was a 1966 GTO 389 Tri-Power/4-speed. That addicted me to Pontiac performance. In 1968 my (now-ex) wife needed new wheels, so we ordered a1968 Firebird 350, Aegena Blue/Parchment interior, Custom trim, the “economy” 2-bbl 350, 4-speed and Safety Track rear. Really loved that car… decent performance, great handling, compact (relative to the “land yachts” of that period), overall comfortable and fun to drive.

Unfortunately my last Firebird until 1994. (There was a 1973 Grand Prix 455 in between). Kept the 1994 for 27 years. Turned it into a ~800 HP monster. Now, as somewhat obvious by the above chronology, I've “aged out” and drive a leased Subaru. Boring….

· Ramblin' Wreck
5,252 Posts
I was looking for a car to supplement my Mercedes 190SL Roadster for towing my boat trailer. Early attempts resulted in embarrassing failures for the very light roadster ;-) I saw an ad on AutoTrander in 1980 and fell in love with the 70 Formula in metallic blue. Nuff said. Towed the boat for a wild 7 hundred miles in it's life. Everglades City, Key West, Miami, Fort Meyers, Jacksonville (FL).
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Reactions: 1993TransAm

· DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,135 Posts
Lots of people my age were Smokey And The Bandit fans. I was a Knight Rider fan as a kid, so my first love of Firebirds were the third gen cars. The early fourth gen cars were what I thought was the "perfect" evolution of everything I liked about third gens.

Reactions: GaryDoug
1 - 10 of 10 Posts