Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd start this thread for a little fun. It's pretty simple post about what you did with your Firebird today. You can make as many posts as you'd like and on as many days as you like.

For example;

Today, I cleaned up the interior of my Bird so I can fit more passengers over the holidays and started the installation of my review mirror with lights that I got off an '85.

Your turn!

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
I cut a trap door in my 95, removed the sending unit and fuel pump. Then drained the old gas out of the tank. Will be putting a new fuel pump in after Christmas.

On my 76, I looked at it and wondered, why did I buy a car that needs so much work?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
So far I looked at the fender and am thinking I should cut and weld more patches for the rusted areas.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
I drove it to Home Depot and bought a microwave oven for my mother. The old one was dirty and she really isn't into cleaning things ;-) Neither is Wife.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
Got my registration renewal in the mail, so I put it in the car. Not sure why I carry insurance and keep the registration current on a car that hasn't been out of the garage in several years.

Now that I'm retired (as of yesterday) maybe I can get it cleaned up and out on the road.

Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
On 24th I bring my wife at work, I drive further to the workshop to assemble my bird till 2pm.

Polish the bird, mountet the part under the nose, the grills, turnlights, paint the trunk in black.

And last but not least, I found a big oilsea unter the gearbox.

So I have sealed it also.

Thats all.

At 2pm I took my wife at home and have a nice chrismas evening together with our family.
Regards
Sascha

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok this is more of an story for yesterday but it was Christmas lol

So yesterday I went to my mom's place for Christmas. While I was there my step-dad went outside to get a beer and when he comes back in he nonchalantly tells me it's snowing. So I grab all my stuff and take off in MY FIREBIRD to try to avoid the terrible conditions and the idiot tourists that can't drive in the snow. So I made the 20 mile trek back home without chains or snow tires on a long curvy uphills. Bad combo to say the least.

Surprisingly, the Firebird KICKED ASS on the snow and ice. I had no problems keeping it on the road and passed by many people who were struggling. It even did excellent in areas that my now broken 4x4 struggled and slipped in.

In my opinion, we should rename the Firebird the Snowbird :lol:

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Beige

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,476 Posts
Well, it's been sitting since the 18th, so, aired up the tires and drove 25 miles today. :)

Got a few good drifts in, lots of smokey burnouts. ...nearly got pulled over but think the truck behind me got in trouble for my actions. All I know is I was going 40mph, dropped down to 2nd, hit the gas, dumped the clutch, *sideways* and going 60mph, I let off to slow down to the speed limit and straighten up. Looked in rear view, saw truck turn off, flashing red & blue lights coming at me fast, but, Sheriff turned where the truck did. *whew*.

Had a nice little hottie grab my attention on the road. Sitting at a light, I felt the staring. I looked to my right and she's all smiles, I smile back and she waves, rolls down her window, and tells me she *loves* my car. (Have you seen it? ...ugly, yet still somehow sexy) Thanked her, light turned green and we were on our way. ...some days I regret getting married. I really do. She would have looked great in my passenger seat. I doubt she liked the car, major kudos to her if she did, but, she was either into me personally, or, she digs on guys who commit. If you saw my T/A, you'd think I was either commited to it, or, should just be commited.

I drive probably one of the ugliest cars in the state, and I'm damn proud to do so.

I don't get out much, the T/A gets maybe 5,000mi a year at most, so, it's a special day when I do get to drive it, blast my tunes, shred some rubber, and offend everyone in the immediate area.

I'll drive more tomorrow and Monday. I still he a lot of rubber to burn away. My tires are 6.5 years old and dry-rotted from sitting so much. Two lose all air pressure after a week, and the other two drop to 15/20psi. They have at least 60% tread left socI'm gonna smoke them to slicks, swapcfront and rear and smoke those to slicks, then, I'll go get some new tires.

Have a little judder now and again when coming off the clutch, I think it's when I'm turning so going to go get a tube of Trans-X for the rear end, hopefully that solves it, if not, that means that the transmission shop did not machine my flywheel properly or over-machined it. My old clutch still had a lot of friction material but was worn in bevel, hell, more cone shaped, inside of clutch was 60/70%, outside was ~20%. I assume the flywheel wore down to match. ...all I know was I went into the shop with about 1" of pedal and picked up the car with all of the pedal. It's been 500 miles and the problem is gone now, but, for the first 400 or so miles, I couldn't spin the tires in 2nd gear, my car has always been able to get into a drift from 45mph in 2nd. ...now, it was just lightly accelerating. I really think they screwed up my flywheel and the clutch has worn to match. Did have issue with that, but, as of today, 2nd is strong again, feels like things are clamping as they should. For as little as I drive the car, I don't care. AS LONG AS I CAN DRIFT!!!

If I'm lucky, I'll have an excuse to drive again tomorrow. Maybe I'll head out and see what replaced the Cooper Xeon 2xS, thatcwas an awesome tire, but not in production aymore. They were not mileage rated, and if you got 20,000mi out of them you weren't driving hard enough, but damn, even in the pouring rain I could launch at nearly 100% throttle and the things *squeeled*. Wet, dry, all the same. ...these Coopers I have now were only like $15/ea cheaper than the 2xS and they are junk. I can come off thenclutchcat idle and spin them in the rain. I hate "driving on egg-shells". ...think I'm looking for an AAA tire, but, I don't know squat about tires.

Most days, my answer to this question would be "sat on the porch and stared at her rear end." which, to be honest, I love looking at my car nearly as much as driving her.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the way I brought in the new year is I took a few quick laps around the lake. Got to push the Firebird a little on the corners and it was awesome. Was a decent start to the new year, Hopefully the rest of it goes similar!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Drove from CA to AZ today. Long and boring trip. Did have a guy try to race me though.

He lost :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
ROFL, Tony, that little hottie you met was a true car chick. We appreciate good cars and understand that they have to go thru stages to look great. And that looks aren't everything, what's under the hood counts just as much.

As for my 71, she's tucked under her winter blankie, trying to stay warm for winter. Most mornings as I'm heading out the door for work I pass by the car and wonder why I ever left Texas for the great white north. I have to park my poor little car from Oct to May.

The 68 is a little warmer in Oklahoma waiting to be blasted and have partial rear quarters replaced. Maybe in the spring.....

Reactions: Bird Lightning 2.0

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Cut the flashing out of the combustion chambers on the dart heads I managed to score, and polished them up a bit.

Heading north tomorrow to pick up a project car for my neighbor, and then south to pick up a 73nova for parts. If all goes well, I will have disc brakes, tube arms, true 8.5" 10 bolt with eaton posi and 4.11 gears and Cclip eliminators, and dif housing girdle with cap struts by the weekend.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Got my registration renewal in the mail, so I put it in the car. Not sure why I carry insurance and keep the registration current on a car that hasn't been out of the garage in several years.

Now that I'm retired (as of yesterday) maybe I can get it cleaned up and out on the road.

Merry Christmas!!
Congrats on the retirement Fred!!!

Now get out and get driving... ;)

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
Received my new fuel pump for the 95 trans am today. Installed pump but found that I need a new battery before I can crank her up. Will be doing that tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After about 6 years.... I actually popped the hood. Not to many spider webs. Popping the hood was to refresh my crappy memory. Getting a list going for my birds resurrection. Gotta drain all of the fluids. - especially what's left in the fuel tank. Then get going on some performance upgrades. Then -- a paint refresh. Looking forward to getting her back on the road.

Wolf

·
Registered
161 Posts
I canot make everything, parts are coming the last days but the weather is to bad.

All days raining and cold. Only 2°C at the day.

Holy crap, I wish the spring in coming soon to make the rest work.....

Regards
Sascha

1 - 20 of 44 Posts