Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I just wanted to start a post to check in on everyone and see what you did this weekend, or plan to do next weekend.

Layna

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll go first, I started detailing one of our daily drivers. Honey took the grandkids out in the car and they found mud. It was everywhere in the car, lol. Not done yet but got a good start.

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
Air conditioner blower motor died Thursday night after a power "flicker". Opened house up at 82 degrees because it was getting stuffy and the house got up to 90F with high humidity. Went out, opened service panel, saw a capacitor in pieces, figured that was the culprit, and sat around all night nearly naked, sweating... house never got below 84F, humidity wasn't too bad, but I'm acclimated to 72F, so, yuck!

Friday, I go to buy a new capacitor. Parts store is 30min away. ...accident. an hour later I get the capacitor but my damned debit card is being declined "at customer request". Apparently, my banking app was not activating my card. Merchant was getting pissed because it costs him money to run a card. I'm showing him my bank balance and that the card is active. No good. Had to drive almost all the way home to go to my bank. Rubber-neckers have slowed this sidenof the road enough you'd think the accident was this side of the street. Got to bank, pulled out all my money minus what I will need for bills. F*'em. They can loan against someone elses account. Drive back to store, still took an hour to go 15 miles. Get capacitor, go home, install, and... no A/C.

Look at electrical diagram, realize I replaced one of the compressor/fan capacitors and get confused. Why is the fan and compressor running if this capacitor was missing. Maybe it's not needed. Removed from circuit. Locate blower, remove it's capacitor, back to the appliance repair shop. ...only 25 minutes to get there this time. Yay! Get the capacitor for the blower, drive home, replace it, and... no A/C.

Thinking it must be a relay or the blower motor. Get out volt-ohm-meter and go at it.

...everything is powered, blower motor windings have continuity, capacitor at blower has 121V running across it. WTF?

Run to lowes, get a window unit, go home, decide to look around one more time. Its now 8:20P and darkness comes soon. This time around, I decide to cut the zip-ties so I can seperate the wire bundle and have a good look. As I'm pulling the wires apart, one isn't moving. Why? Well, apparently it's been rubbing on the blower housing, chafed through, arked out, welded to blower cage, and lost contact "motor side". This explains that power flicker though and why the blower died from it.

Cut out wire, ran new one, and... I GOT A/C!

Took window unit back, came home, called wife and told her A/C was fixed. House cooled down to 75F by the time I went to bed at 6a.

Wife comes crashing through door at 7a. yelling at me, cursing at me, throwing and banging stuff around, generally being nasty. See, it was 81F and humid when she came home. Get up. Groggy. Look at unit outside, it's running. Shut it off, turn it on, still getting warm air. Thought I should reset system, so I do. While waiting I realize I never put the filter back in the return. I say as much, say it might have iced over, and get berated for making a mistake. ...i'm seriously downplaying the level of "bitch" we have reached here. Literally moved to the letter C at this point. Anyway, set an alarm for 60m and go back to bed. 60m later, and no sleep because since she's miserable I have to be too. Anyway, still warm air. I go outside and realize that although the blower is running, the compressor and fan are not.

I think HEY! Maybe that capacitor should be in the circuit. Reinstall capacitor, turn on unit, cold air blows! It's 2p Saturday. House is 89F. SO goes to work at 6:30p and house is now 79F. At 7:15p house is 75F and that is what it is set to. I go outside for 45 minutes. Come inside and it's freeking 81F! Compressor and fan appear to be running. Shut system off, reset, and the blower comes on but no fan or compressor. Being after 8p, only walmart is open. Buy 2 cheap ass Chinese TCL window units, go home, and it takes forever to install them because they are little 6,000BTU jobbies that fit "up to" 36-inch openings. Of course all my windows are 46". ...the "track" the windows slide up and dow in is just under 5/8ths. ...and all I have to fill the void is 3/4" plywood.

...remove a few layers of ply with a chisel, get it to thickness, and proceeded to cut the plywood to size with a very dull hand saw. Took forever.

1:30a Saturday night, both units are in and on. House was 88F, by 5a it was 77F. I went to bed, bedroom is freezing but it has to be to pull that air into the hallway. Fell asleep around 7a. 11a, I get up, thermostat says 74F. Meeting family at a BBQ restaurant for Fathers Day. Get home at 2:30, call A/C repairman. 4p they get here.

One very expensive compressor/fan capacitor later and I have A/C again.

That capacitor I questioned? Ya, should have never been in the circuit. ...it cost me $18. ...and it caused $347 dollars to quickly exit my savings.

As the house was cool already from those TCL window units, I shut those off, set the thermostat 1F lower and I simply waited. System went off at 74F, system cycled on. Let that happen twice just to be sure as over the last 48 hours it ran for only 1 cycle before running but blowing warm air.

Returned 1 of the window units. Bought my boy 2 toys for $50.

Came home. ...came here.

So what have I done this weekend? Sweat my nuts off 16 to 18 hours a day, barely slept, been berated, belittled, felt accomplishment. ...felt failure. ...bit my tongue so much it's close to being severed. Questioned my choice in partners... Seriously, to listen to her, she was the only one affected by this.

...and approved the membership of a potential spammer here.

Now, I'm going to shower. Gross, but my hair smells like vinegar, and the rest of me smells even worse.

Up next, some herbal medication and massive amounts of relaxation.

...also got the good news that my A/C was one of the very last ones produced that uses the old Freon (R22?) and there is nothing that can be done with it and if it does fail, at least $8k but likely $10k to replace. Guys won't even check the pressure because if it's low, and they lose that last little bit of pressure, game over because they have no way to fill it.

OK, I lied. There are plans for tomorrow. I have a consultant showing up tomorrow at 3p to assess my house for sizing a new unit because Joy of Joy's, my unit is 16 years old. They say heat pumps are good for 10-20 years with the average being 15. On top of a potential low freon situation because of a low delta on return and exhaust temps, I have very low airflow out of my vents. Technician agrees that I most likely have a leaking supply duct. $1800 estimated just to replace the exhaust and return ducts to restore air flow

In for a penny...

Anyway, the weekend is almost over and I'm not the least bit sad about it.

·
Banned
Pontiac Firebird 1995
35 Posts
Hi guys,
I’m new to this forum and from Germany so sorry for my English haha.

This Weekend I had to replace my valve cover gasket on my 95 Firebird 3.4 V6 cause it was leaking like hell.
6 Hours and a lot of scratches later the job was done and I and my Girlfriend decided to go for a ride. Something about 30 Kilometers away from home without a cellphone or anything the engine just began to run wierd so I’ve stopped on the side of the road to check everything and the engine suddenly stopped running. I was like freaking out stuck with the not running car and no cellphone and my girlfriend just to find out that we ran out of gas because the “Gas gauge” is not really working. Luckily we had an canister with some gas with us so we could drive back home haha. Now I’m looking to fix the rest of the problems of the car like the not working Horn or the not working convertible top or the not working acc.
Have a good week guys and stay healthy!
Best wishes from Germany!
Acelino

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
Welcome! Happy to have you. When you are ready, feel free to post any questions you have in the 4th Gen forum.

·
Banned
Pontiac Firebird 1995
35 Posts
Hi ZumpTA,

thank you verry much! Im really appreciating this forum and I’m glad to have found it!
Have a nice day!

Acelino

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,070 Posts
For this coming weekend, I plan to do two of the things I like doing lately, boating and flying my drones. I want to improve on my last effort to record my boat in action while I was driving it ;-) (Silly Miami Vice music added) Who says old guys can't multitask! (click on Watch on Youtube for hi res)

·
Admin - Firebird lover
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice video!!!!!

Reactions: GaryDoug

·
Registered
46 Posts
For this coming weekend, I plan to do two of the things I like doing lately, boating and flying my drones. I want to improve on my last effort to record my boat in action while I was driving it ;-) (Silly Miami Vice music added) Who says old guys can't multitask! (click on Watch on Youtube for hi res)
Nice! Gimme some Miami vice!

·
Admin - Firebird lover
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cooler weather this weekend. Detail cars and start cleaning the boat that's been in storage. woo hoo.

Reactions: Acelino.R

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
Relaxing... Just relaxing.

Might clean the interior of the T/A as it's starting to mildew.
Might remove and lubricate all caliper slides as I think they are binding causing the new* brakes to drag.
Definitely going to take it around the block a few times.

...and definitely going to rip it through first, second, and third before putting it away for another month. But, that is part of me "relaxing".

Have fun cleaning the vehicles and boat. I don't envy you there. :) ...and get out on the water ASAP!

*brakes are about 7 years old now but have maybe 3,000 miles on them. As I engine brake down to 15MPH 99% of the time, they're like brand-new.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,070 Posts
cooler weather this weekend. Detail cars and start cleaning the boat that's been in storage. woo hoo.
Boat? Perk! What kind of boat?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Finished cleanup and cold-galvanizing of my tank, installation of a new sending unit, buttoned it all up, I can actually tell how much gas is in the tank. Progress!

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
Replaced every faucet handle in my house with these... you can guess why. Saw them getting a replacement knob for the shower. Couldn't resist. :)

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
Finished cleanup and cold-galvanizing of my tank, installation of a new sending unit, buttoned it all up, I can actually tell how much gas is in the tank. Progress!
Looking good! Went a few years without a functioning guage myself. So nice to have the convenience again, eh? :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just finished cleaning my engine bay and installed a new hood insulation pad. Of course there'll be a more detailed clean later but this is a good start.
20210626_161706.jpg
20210626_161506.jpg

·
Admin - Firebird lover
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boat - didn't get any detailing done, but did some work inside it. Discovered several spots that were holding water, so cleaned those and started the process of getting the carpet dried out. But kinda difficult to get anything dry when the humidity is 110%, lol.

1985 Sea Ray Sundancer. It's been in storage for 6-7 years. Just made it to the house a couple of weeks ago. Needs a little work, and lots of cleaning. Any suggestions on products would be greatly appreciated.

Need to patch a small tear in the cover, then get that back on to keep the rain out.

Cars - didn't get to those either, lol. Oh well, there's always next weekend.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,070 Posts
Boat - didn't get any detailing done, but did some work inside it. Discovered several spots that were holding water, so cleaned those and started the process of getting the carpet dried out. But kinda difficult to get anything dry when the humidity is 110%, lol.

1985 Sea Ray Sundancer. It's been in storage for 6-7 years. Just made it to the house a couple of weeks ago. Needs a little work, and lots of cleaning. Any suggestions on products would be greatly appreciated.

Need to patch a small tear in the cover, then get that back on to keep the rain out.
The stagnant water is very bad and will rot out any wood in the flooring. Yes an 85 Sea Ray does have wood in the floor and the water will creep in via any small cracks or holes. I would do everything possible to keep that dry...ironic for a boat I know. Floor rot is the number one killer for older boats. First thing do do is get rid of the carpet.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Temps this weekend will be in the 90's, but humidity is supposed to be below 50% (rare thing). So maybe some outdoor activities this weekend. Still have vehicles to wash & detail.

My poor bird hasn't been out of the garage yet this year. Maybe time for a cruise.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did absolutely nothing car related, lol. Maybe next weekend.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts