Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
Removed the RESOLVED tag on this thread as I see no solution given. Assuming the issue is still valid and open...

TrewMyth: Wire colors changed throughout the years. In the future, please tell us the year and engine/trans combo for more specific help. Here is a link to the 4th gen Factory Service Manuals. You will find the correct wire maps within.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
Searched on GM part # 12135089, and it came up as the retained accessory power (RAP) module:

Check the wire colors to see if it matches this schematic for the 1995 RAP module:

If that's it, it belongs in this pocket on the inside of the fire wall:

http://shbox.com/1/express_down1.jpg

I'm assuming the connector marked A-B-C-D is a separate item, and you still need info on that. What colors are the four wires? I see them, but the colors aren't all clear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Searched on GM part # 12135089, and it came up as the retained accessory power (RAP) module:

Check the wire colors to see if it matches this schematic for the 1995 RAP module:

If that's it, it belongs in this pocket on the inside of the fire wall:

http://shbox.com/1/express_down1.jpg

I'm assuming the connector marked A-B-C-D is a separate item, and you still need info on that. What colors are the four wires? I see them, but the colors aren't all clear.
Yes u are correct... I'd say tan ,brown,blue,black

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,093 Posts
The bottom connector looks like it has black, dark blue, yellow, and gray wires. That connector looks like the one for steering wheel audio controls that connects at the base of the turn signal switch.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
Looking at the 95 factory service manual, connector C3 (gray) in the radio has a 6-pin slot and a 4-pin slot. The wire colors are:

• Pin 17 - light blue - right rear speaker return
  • Pin 18 - dark blue - right rear speaker feed
  • Pin 19 - yellow - left rear speaker return
  • Pin 20 - brown - left rear speaker feed

See page 8A-150-9

Are the rear speakers working? Does the vehicle have the factory system, or aftermarket?

Does it have steering wheel radio controls? C217 is the connector 1993TransAm is referencing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bottom connector looks like it has black, dark blue, yellow, and gray wires. That connector looks like the one for steering wheel audio controls that connects at the base of the turn signal switch.
Ty. That's the conclusion I come to ...lol unfortunately ..a shame ...because neither are stoping it from starting
Looking at the 95 factory service manual, connector C3 (gray) in the radio has a 6-pin slot and a 4-pin slot. The wire colors are:

See page 8A-150-9

Are the rear speakers working? Does the vehicle have the factory system, or aftermarket?
Nothing in it radio wise

See page 8A-150-9

Does it have steering wheel radio controls? C217 is the connector 1993TransAm is referencing.
The original steering column did but the new one doesn't

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
Then it's the connector for the steering wheel controls as 1993TransAm described in post #5. No longer required. Tie it up out of the way.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
When you turn the key to "START" exactly what happens - A) nothing; B) something "clicks"; C) starter cranks the engine, but no signs of combustion?

Have you scanned the PCM for codes. The 95 3.8L V6 was the first OBD-2 system, unlike other 95's which are OBD-1.

What diagnostic work have you done that led to the specific parts you replaced?

Is the "SECURITY" light on A) only during "bulb check"; B) flashes when trying to start; C) on solid when trying to start; D) all the time?

Free download of the 1995 factory service manual:

Note that because the 3.8L V6 was added as an option after mid-year production, the engine is covered in a supplement at the very back of the file.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you turn the key to "START" exactly what happens - A) nothing; B) something "clicks"; C) starter cranks the engine, but no signs of combustion?

Have you scanned the PCM for codes. The 95 3.8L V6 was the first OBD-2 system, unlike other 95's which are OBD-1.

What diagnostic work have you done that led to the specific parts you replaced?

Is the "SECURITY" light on A) only during "bulb check"; B) flashes when trying to start; C) on solid when trying to start; D) all the time?

Free download of the 1995 factory service manual:

Note that because the 3.8L V6 was added as an option after mid-year production, the engine is covered in a supplement at the very back of the file.
Only during bulb check..its cranking over just not firing..

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
maybe you should download and review the Factory Service Manual provided to you by Injuneer in post #10

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
There is an index full of keywords at the back with associated page numbers, but if you want to see wires, you look to the wiring diagram.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,093 Posts
Refer to the supplement at the end of the service manual that Fred (Injuneer) described in an earlier post for VIN K (3.8L). I wouldn't assume that the wiring is the same for a VIN F engine (3.4L).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts