Firebird Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This morning i noticed coolant running down the drive way from under my covered "new to me" 77 firebird (bought it two weeks ago). so I took a look and it seems to be dripping off the drive shaft back by the joint for the Diff.

When you check the rad , its full and looks clean, oil looks clean, I cant see any leaks looking around the engine block.

the car has a305 GM 5.0lg (not original to the car) stamped Canada, couldn't find any other stamps or ID on it.

Transmission is an Automatic, and has an aftermarket trans cooler running to it, does not appear to be leaking. other than seeing the green fluid drip off the drive shaft I cant really get a better look anywhere, and unfortunately its winter so I cant drive it somewhere to get a better look, Any ideas? I cant see a single sign of leak around the block, but it's really hard to get in there without a jack at the moment.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Must have overflowed out onto the chassis rail or similar, pooled up and then trickled when moved. Keep an eye on the coolant levels and the overflow bottle, if stock or missing etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Must have overflowed out onto the chassis rail or similar, pooled up and then trickled when moved. Keep an eye on the coolant levels and the overflow bottle, if stock or missing etc.
There is no overflow bottle, but she hasn't moved yet since I parked it off the trailer . I have started it a few times, but no coolant spray viSable. I'll keep watching and looking .
I also noticed it when I was checking out the car to buy it before taking for a test drive and towing home but like then I also couldn't find a source and assumed it was just a spill

Oh also the heater core is bypassed

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Have you checked your freeze plugs for leakage. With car not running and thermostat closed a leak from the engine block would not cause radiator level to go down. So check out anything on block that communicates with water jacket. Temp sender, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill have a good look with a mirror this evening if there's still light or tomorrow morning and see what I can find

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found a leak,

drive shaft is now dry so maybe there's another or maybe this is the only one,

but found a leak here in this plug by the oil filter. how difficult is this to repair?

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bicycle part

also what is this plug for next to the oil filter?

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

found the transmission also has a leak around its pan.

and found this nasty thing on the firewall, next to the ebrake cable i believe.

Wood Twig Trunk Tints and shades Window

the black dots are holes rusted out, the shinny part is a piece of metal up inside, haven't torn out carpit to have a good look at what i'm dealing with yet.

no Idea how to tackle that. for now i just sprayed it with fluid film for the time being.

Thanks for your help, Happy saturday!

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Do you plan on pulling the engine anytime soon? If you are, you should replace all the freeze plugs. You might be able to change just that one without pulling the engine. Access is the problem. A freeze plug installer is about 5 inches long and about the same diameter as that freeze plug. You have to whack it pretty good with a big hammer to seat the new plug. Of course you have to get the old one out too. They do make a rubber freeze plug that you just stick in the hole and then tighten down the bolt in it to spread the rubber out and make the seal. I've never used one of those, so I don't know how well it works or how long it lasts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I really was not planning on pulling it, I have it in my driveway and it's cold here too ! Now the plug in there currently I noticed has a screw in it, is it possible it's one of those ease in one's ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes, it is possible. If it's not concave (like your other ones maybe) try tightening the bolt in it, might seal things up.. or just get a new one

·
Registered
899 Posts
Do it properly, no dodgy half fixes.
That would be the oil pressure sender. Yours either doesn't work or has a custom one added elsewhere.
Looks like previous rust holes have been patched over from the inside with a new panel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There was a new set of after market gauges put in the car for temp oil and voltage. the voltage doesn't show anything but the other two are alive so there must be another oil sender.

Am I right in saying that plug is a "freeze plug"?

it has oval shaped thing raised on the left side of it with two "prongs" . its leaking from the bottom of the plug, around the outside.

I didn't realize coolant went that far down on the block

Sorry, i've only worked on small engines like motorcycles before so these larger ones are new to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts