Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is ready to be reinstalled after being rebuilt by an engine builder. We made it a 461 stroker and can't wait to feel the difference from the stock 400! To say I'm an amateur at this type of job is an understatement. My Question is about the vacuum lines. I want to delete everything I don't need. My engine builder did what he did but I need to know what I need to keep. My car is a1979 Trans am with pontiac 400. It is a 4spd car with 4 wheel disc brakes and air conditioning. I've owned this car since 1987. It is probably going to be a little while before I install it. Ive been waiting for the exhaust manifolds for over 4 months now and keep getting the run a round from ram air restorations! Also waiting for over a month for the air conditioning parts. Any help with the vacuum lines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ted.

·
Administrator
2,576 Posts
MSD at one time sold a box that electronically advanced timing, so with that you could lose the vacuum line going to the distributor. You'll need the vacuum lines for the brakes and HVAC system as far as I know. If this is a 4spd conversion, the vacuum lines going to the original automatic might just be capped off, if so, you could lose those to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MSD at one time sold a box that electronically advanced timing, so with that you could lose the vacuum line going to the distributor. You'll need the vacuum lines for the brakes and HVAC system as far as I know. If this is a 4spd conversion, the vacuum lines going to the original automatic might just be capped off, if so, you could lose those to.
My car is an original 4spd car. What about the thermostatic vacuum switch that is in the front of the intake? Can that be eliminated? Mine is broken off and they don't. make them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think they actually do make those switches if needed. They’re just tough to find sometimes. You wouldn’t need that though. My 77 is a converted 4 speed. All I have hooked up that’s “needed” is distributor vacuum advance, PCV valve, and brake booster and the distributor advance is straight to the carb, not through any thermal vacuum switches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts