Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I was replacing my ignition, and I was messing with the wires under the knee panel, and another ignition and key fell down. What is that exactly? The key turns the original ignition, but not the one its in. Is that just a key holder? Its connected to those two white wires, and on the original ignition, those wires were cut. Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
That is a way to bypass the VATs pickup in the key cylinder. Evidently the key contacts in the installed cylinder went bad and would not connect to the original key. So the cylinder under the dash just serves the purpose of enabling the anti-theft feature with the correct key value, while the one in the installed cylinder does all the other functions. Most people just install the matching resistors directly to the white wires, but what he did was equivalent and required no searching for the resistors. The keys are probably duplicates. The one in the hidden cylinder does not need to turn to do it's function.

Be aware that this defeats the purpose of the anti theft function unless the extra hidden key is also removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have never seen this kind of a hack job before. Makes sense, but still seems very unprofessional.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
My buddies Z28 is the same way. was a doozy. The tumbler went bad and wouldnt turn, so they took out the cylinder, left the key in it and tucked it under the dash. Then bought a new cylinder and......lost the effin keys. So they removed it and were using needle nose pliers to start the car. I ordered him a new cylinder so now he just needs to get a key cut with the new brass key with the matching pill and plug it in like normal.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
If someone has used the ignition key cylinder under the dash to read the resistor pellet on the key, and send that to the security system, you need it. You have indicated the wires were cut off the cylinder in the steering column.

Unless the key resistor sensing system is bypassed with resistors like Gary shows, you need the key in the cylinder hidden under the dash.

As Gary has indicated, the theft protection provided by the PASS-Key2 system is now defeated, as long as the key is left in the cylinder under the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts