Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,577 Posts
Wrong wheel offset. Link shows 0mm offset. Factory 8” wide wheels are 55mm offset. That means the outer edge of the factory tire sits 2.16 “ deeper in the wheel well. You have a 4.5” “front space”. Anything over 4.0” is going to cut up the tire.

Even with a 4.0” front space on my 11” wide rear wheels, I had to roll the horizontal lip (yours were horizontal until the tire caught it and bent it downward) of the fender up at a 45° angle.

Do the tires get cut the same way on both sides of the car? If one side cuts worse than the other, the rear of the body is not centered side-to-side over the rear axle assembly. That can be corrected by using an adjustable panhard bar.

Rolling the lip (can be done with a baseball bat), and using an adjustable panhard bar might minimize the cutting. Adding inflatable air bags to the rear coil springs might keep the fender lip from dropping on to the tire. But the only way to fully cure the problem would be to have a body shop flare the rear fenders. Or, simply buy a set of wheels with the correct offset to drop the tire deeper into the wheel well.

And yes, also the wrong tire size. They are anywhere from 1/2” to 1” diameter larger than stock, depending which tires your car left the factory with. But a smaller tire will not fully cure that mess. Who selected the wheels and tires? If it was a tire shop, the really screwed up. Don’t go back there unless they agree to replace them at their cost with the correct wheels and tires.

Reactions: Weeser1

·
Administrator
14,577 Posts
After getting a message I could not post this reply, I wasn’t able to post it because the software prevented it. Told me participation in this site requires that I accept cookies. After opening the site several additional times, and trying to post, and it finally went thru.

The new site software has nothing but problems. I've advised that I will not be participating here any more because of all the software horsesh!t. Anyone wanting my help can contact me on CamaroZ28.com where I am the Administrator, and the company that owns that site maintains trouble free software, and responds immediately to issues I bring to their attention. Unfortunately, Vertical Scope, owners of this site are a totally uncooperative bunch of dictators. I've put 16 years into this site helping people. I'm worn out by all the crap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong wheel offset. Link shows 0mm offset. Factory 8” wide wheels are 55mm offset. That means the outer edge of the factory tire sits 2.16 “ deeper in the wheel well. You have a 4.5” “front space”. Anything over 4.0” is going to cut up the tire.

Even with a 4.0” front space on my 11” wide rear wheels, I had to roll the horizontal lip (yours were horizontal until the tire caught it and bent it downward) of the fender up at a 45° angle.

Do the tires get cut the same way on both sides of the car? If one side cuts worse than the other, the rear of the body is not centered side-to-side over the rear axle assembly. That can be corrected by using an adjustable panhard bar.

Rolling the lip (can be done with a baseball bat), and using an adjustable panhard bar might minimize the cutting. Adding inflatable air bags to the rear coil springs might keep the fender lip from dropping on to the tire. But the only way to fully cure the problem would be to have a body shop flare the rear fenders. Or, simply buy a set of wheels with the correct offset to drop the tire deeper into the wheel well.

And yes, also the wrong tire size. They are anywhere from 1/2” to 1” diameter larger than stock, depending which tires your car left the factory with. But a smaller tire will not fully cure that mess. Who selected the wheels and tires? If it was a tire shop, the really screwed up. Don’t go back there unless they agree to replace them at their cost with the correct wheels and tires.
the other side is fine I’m thinking maybe it’s the fender that cut it

I bought the rims they came with tires from some guy so I just used them
The other side seems to be doing okay idk if you can see it scraped off some tire but barely compared to the left side. I’m just trying to figure out the easiest or best way to keep the rims. The front tires are 215 40 17 if that helps

·
Administrator
14,577 Posts
Of course the fender cut the tire. The wheels stick out too far. The are the WRONG offset. The "other side" is not "fine".

The problem is compounded by the (apparent) fact the rear of the chassis is not centered side-to-side over the rear axle. You can recenter the chassis over the axle with an adjustable panhard bar. But all that will do is decrease the fender contact on the side that is being cut, and increased the contact on the side that is only being scraped at the moment,

Your tires are also the WRONG size:

Stock tires on the V6 were 26.2" outside diameter.

Front: 215/40-17 = 23.8" outside diameter. That can't be right. Must look like golf cart tires in the front.

Rear: 245/50-17 = 26.7" outside diameter. Too large, and contributing to the problem with the fender cutting the tire. It's also causing your speedometer to rear ~2% lower than actual MPH.

The CORRECT tire size would be 235/50-17 (26.3" diameter). Putting that size tire on the WRONG wheels may slightly reduce the fender/tire contact in the rear, but putting that size tire on the front wheels will cause major interference with the fender/inner fender liners.

·
Administrator
14,577 Posts
Guess he wasn't happy with my input and ran off to find a better answer somewhere else. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts