Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 v6 firebird

Hey wondering if any of you have any suggestions for this problem ive been having. For about 2 moths no every time i hit a decent size bump my rear passenger side tire will hit my quarter panel and its been chopping up the tire pretty bad. Fortunately its not really doing damage to the point where the tire would pop but the tread its pretty unsightly and obviously it shouldn't happen in the first place. Ive changed rear springs to 210lb springs and put in adjustable shocks and have them on the stiffest setting but i am still having the problem. Well i was under there i looked and there is no obvious damage. im guessing im just missing something? Is there a part that stops that from hapening that i dont know about?

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,577 Posts
This happens ONLY on the passenger side? Does the driver side wheel/tire sit deeper in the wheel well, preventing contact with the quarter panel? Are the wheels/tires stock sizes, matching on both sides?

If so, the problem is related to the panhard bar, which connects to a fixed vertical arm on the passenger side of the body, and the rear axle assembly on the drivers side. The panhard bar centers the body side-to-side over the rear axle. If the bar is damaged, or the vertical arm is bent, the body can shift to one side, creating the problem you appear to be describing. Commonly, the result of very hard contact with a curb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This happens ONLY on the passenger side? Does the driver side wheel/tire sit deeper in the wheel well, preventing contact with the quarter panel? Are the wheels/tires stock sizes, matching on both sides?

If so, the problem is related to the panhard bar, which connects to a fixed vertical arm on the passenger side of the body, and the rear axle assembly on the drivers side. The panhard bar centers the body side-to-side over the rear axle. If the bar is damaged, or the vertical arm is bent, the body can shift to one side, creating the problem you appear to be describing. Commonly, the result of very hard contact with a curb.
Yeah only on the passenger side rear tire and the wheels are stock. I have changed the panhard bar to and adjustable one and with the stock and aftermarket one the problem still happened. I have to adjust the new panhard bar a little because i just put it in an hour before i made the post but when the panhard bar is adjusted and it axle is centered the tires are flush with the quarter panel so they dont go in past it. The old panhard bar looked fine so im guessing it may be the vertical arm you where talking about but im still going to adjust the panhard bar and make sure that isnt the issue first.

·
has been
56 Posts
My 1974 has an issue with drivers front fender sitting low. I replaced all sorts of stuff without improvement. Recently I took out the front grills to repaint. I noticed behind them, some body parts don’t line up vertically. My conclusion is the car had been in an accident before I got it. Shoddy body work camouflaged by a cheap white paint job hid this from me. My point, possibly yours has been damaged by a collision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so i looked under the car and the vertical arm is not damaged but what i noticed is there is a bumper kind of thing on the quarter panel that would stop the axle from going that high and its considerably more worn on the passenger side. Its only 2 bolts to replace it but i honestly have no clue what it would be called. Im going to attach an image for reference i took when i was installing the springs. In the photo its very far from the axle but when the tires are on and its resting on its own weight it is significantly closer and the other side (not the one in the image) like i said has a lot less material on it. Wondering if its short enough on the other side now because of the wear that its just enough to let it hit the quarter panel?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its a common 4th gen issue, the upper bump stops have fallen apart. I had the same issue with my old 1997 Convertible. I had a load banging issue that led me to failed parts. They can be bought from many places but here is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a common 4th gen issue, the upper bump stops have fallen apart. I had the same issue with my old 1997 Convertible. I had a load banging issue that led me to failed parts. They can be bought from many places but here is what you are looking for.

Thanks, ive ordered them just waiting for them to come in. Also for more info for this post in general im also pretty sure the front passanger side coil spring needs to be replaced as well because i was looking and it is leaning about an inch lower on the side that has the problem. I just lifted up the front fender and it lifted the back as well so considering the rear ones are new i suspect the front one is starting to sag because its very likely they haven't been replaced by the previouse owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts