Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure I am going to need to replace the dimmer switch on my 1994 Firebird.

My Haynes does not cover the subject, & the shop manual has very brief six step instructions for the job that includes "steering column from vehicle".

Does the steering column need to be removed so I can take it apart to gain access to the dimmer switch?

This car is nothing special to me; it is a daily driver, & my only goal is to make it functional. Would it be possible for me to gain access to the yellow wire some where & tap in & put a switch between the green & tan wires & mount some kind of switch to dim the headlights somewhere other than inside the steering column?

I know that sounds kind of ugly, but I am thinking if I start pulling the steering column out, I may be getting into a can of worms I might regret.

Thanks for your help!

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Take a look at this. Might get by with just the first section without removing the column. I know some folks have replaced the ignition switch and/or dimmer switch without removing the column.

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
Depending on the specific problem you are having, you might want to first check to make sure the long rod that connects the lever to the switch is connected and adjusted correctly.

If for some reason you decide to pull the column, Shoebox has a good write up, with photos:

www.shbox.com

Click on "Tech Page"

Click on "How To's"

Click on Item 4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks a lot for the help; I appreciate it.

Anyway, I was out in the garage today with a multimeter, & it turned out to be a dim operator, not a dimmer switch.

All I am going to have to do is replace my headlight sockets, and I was positively thrilled when I figured that one out!

Again, my thanks for the input!

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
"it turned out to be a dim operator"

;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts