Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1976,Firebird,Formula, 350 Engine,350 Trans.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 76 Formula has the clock that takes up the whole side where others have a tack and a small clock.
Has anyone been able to come up with a tack that could fit and then run wiring seperatly to power and light the tack? I know you get into nightmares with doing it with factory circurits and clips but can you wire it seperatly?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The factory tach is already a separate harness, clock is a live wire. Already has a circuit board to suit for lighting.

This is the complete tacho harness. There's a few variations in colour and length but they all feature the same plugs.
Tach plug has 2 terminals set at right angles, on this example orange plug goes to HEI side, pink goes to live feed on fuses. Often used a jumper harness so could be shared with power windows. Later harnesses had the jumper plug included. A few link with pics, although the years mentioned are not always accurate, all would work in a conversion.

You can also pick up used harnesses, they are very simple in order to get the plugs. Or 2 wires with female spade terminals on the ends would also work, that what I use to test tachos outside of car.

·
Registered
1976,Firebird,Formula, 350 Engine,350 Trans.
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it is possible for me to remove my clock assembly and purchase the tack clock combo is see priced in the $300.00 range along with a tack pigtail and that will fit in the guage cluster i now have?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Should work, along with a circuit board to suit. You may have to change plug for the clocks if they change. But yes, the tachometer with clock just screws into gauge housing the same as your existing one. You'll need a new clear lens too, the clock knob is I'm a different location. You might get lucky with a used gauge cluster. The clocks sometimes don't work, likewise the tacho, easy to test both, but get caught spare speedo, gauge housing and lens for your trouble, maybe even a good circuit board and a handful of globe holders. Spares are always handy.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Some quick pics which will be deleted in the near future as my flickr account is basically full.

The first shows rear of gauge cluster, tacho inserts from rear on right. Note there's 3 globe sockets, only 2 are used, the other is covered up by circuit board. Tacho harness plug to top right, angled terminals x2. The red insulated stud is for the clock live power, a nut fastens the circuit board onto it.

Does your existing harness have this position in the harness, don't know. You'd have to look or someone else reply. If you had a part number to look at online or found the replacement board for your existing gauge cluster you'd be able to count terminals and confirm if same live feed is for clock as well.

Firebird Speedo dash cluster repro tacho rear by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

oer-8911865_xl_LI by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts