Firebird Nation banner

Swirls?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  66ohc 
#1 ·
I have a TON of fine scratchy looking swirly marks all over the car. You can see them when you get up close, but otherwise not so much.

I head Meguiar's Swirl-X would take care of them. Has anyone tried this before? I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound before my last wax (about a month ago). It got some of the super fine scratches and the paint looked a bit deeper, but otherwise nothing to the swirls.

I don't have a buffer/polisher, so I have to do everything by hand. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Samantha

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Look into the Zaino polishing system. It eliminates the swirl marks by filling them in with micro particles. Unbelievable. Other polishes remove the swirls (and often create new swirls) using abrasives that sand away your clear coat.

I had a large scrape on the hood. A neighbor put some large/heavy cardboard boxes in the front yard for trash pickup, and a strong wind bounced one of them off my hood. Nothing would clear it up, until I used the Zaino products. Bob, the previous owner of the site did some side-by-side tests of various polishes. You might want to look over his posts.

#5 ·
hit up a trusted detail shop in your area and see what they recommend.

a good detail job every 6 months works wonders too.

#6 ·
I own Wizard Of Aaahhs Detailing in Salt Lake City. Starting rubbing paint when I was a kid. You're going to have a tough time doing anything by hand, but you'll also need to be careful about what machines you use--and given the state of modern clear coat systems, you will need to use a machine to get a result commensurate with your efforts. Rubbing modern clear coat by hand is an arduous task, and you're not going to get nearly the kind of result that you will with a machine.

Steer clear of forced rotational buffers, as you can quickly burn through the clear coat and ruin the paint. A dual action buffer is what you'll want. Beginner friendly, you'll get a fantastic result, and you'll not run the risk of burning through your clear coat. I recommend getting yourself squared away with a Porter Cable 7424XP. It's affordable and will last forever with proper care--the results it will provide make the prospect of doing any work by hand ridiculous and masochistic. The Porter Cable will make your clear look like flat, wet glass. I personally like the 3D/HD car care product line, and their website is a huge resource for those looking to put the shine on their rides, whether for their own personal car or as a professional.

There is also a wealth of detail how-to's to be found on Youtube. They will show you exactly how to eliminate swirls, spider webs, holograms and the like from your clear. PM me if you need links to specific resources. :)

#7 ·
I own Wizard Of Aaahhs Detailing in Salt Lake City. Starting rubbing paint when I was a kid. You're going to have a tough time doing anything by hand, but you'll also need to be careful about what machines you use--and given the state of modern clear coat systems, you will need to use a machine to get a result commensurate with your efforts. Rubbing modern clear coat by hand is an arduous task, and you're not going to get nearly the kind of result that you will with a machine.

Steer clear of forced rotational buffers, as you can quickly burn through the clear coat and ruin the paint. A dual action buffer is what you'll want. Beginner friendly, you'll get a fantastic result, and you'll not run the risk of burning through your clear coat.

I'm curious what is "rubbing paint"? What exactly is the state of the modern clear coat system? Do you use rotational buffers? .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.