Firebird Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 93 Firebird with the motor locked up. I"m looking at a complete 95 Corvette LT1 to replace the engine in the 93. What will I have to change or mod to make this work?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
If you bought a complete corvette engine, you will have to use your 93 f-body accessory bracket and maybe the 93 accessories themselves.

Then you will have to ditch the maf because your 93 is a speed density car. Any sensors that are different you will need to use from your 93. And of course retain the 93 engine wiring harness & computer. But seeing you have the 93 lt1 engine already, you have all the necessary swap parts.

If vette engine came with auto trans, you can't use it. You 93 uses a non computer controlled 700R4 while the 95 uses a computer controlled 4L60E. The 2 transmissions pretty much look identical but are worlds apart on the stuff inside them.

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
I do know the corvette's water pump is different, so, that will have to be swapped as well. It's not a different pump so much as the pipes route differently. As configured, the corvette pump won't work very well under the f-body hood. Easy swap, and while you're there you can perform Sea Dog's LT1 water-pump mod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do know the corvette's water pump is different, so, that will have to be swapped as well. It's not a different pump so much as the pipes route differently. As configured, the corvette pump won't work very well under the f-body hood. Easy swap, and while you're there you can perform Sea Dog's LT1 water-pump mod.
Didn't know what a sea Dog's water pump mod was until I looked at one of your older posts. I think thats a pretty smart idea.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
The 93 fuel linres are routed differently. Just use the 93 manifold, fuel rails and injectors. Each of those components is unique to the 93. 95 rails have a crossover pipe, requiring a groove in the intake. 93 rails do not have the crossover and manifold does not have the groove. 93 injectors batch fire, and there is a pulse damper on the rail assembly. 95 injectors are full sequential, no pulse damper. Can't mix and match.

93 injectors are 22 #/HR, 95 are 24 #/HR.

Have to keep the 93 throttle body. It has a connection on the quadrent for the 4L60 trans TV cable, 95 TB does not need a TV cable for the electronically shifted 4L60E. The 93 TB has a screw in IAC valve, 95 IAC is mounted with screws, and has a different electrical connector.

If you plan to keep the AIR system, the 93 pump is bolted to the subframe, F-Body 95 is bolted next to water pump. Not sure if the 95 Y-Body is on the engine. 93 passengers side exhaust manifold does not have an AIR connection. The passenger side AIR connection is combined with the EGR connection on the number 8 primary.

Y-Body water pump does not have the connections for the oil cooler coolant supply. F-Body pump has oil cooler connections, but they are plugged if the engine didn't come with an oil cooler. I think the oil cooler may only have come on the manual trans cars. Not positive. Y-Body pump also has a bulky mount for some other accessory on the passenger side. F-Body does not.

Need to check the knock sensor(s). F-Body has one 4,000 ohm sensor, mounted in the coolant drain port on the passenger side. I believe the Y-Body has one on each side. Can leave the extra on the driver side, but check the resistance of the one on the passenger side.

93 mounts the oil pressure sensor on driver side of block, just above the oil filter. 95 F-Body is mounted on top of the block, just behind the rear edge of the intake manifold. Not sure where it is on the Y-Body.

You have to keep the 95 Opti distributor. It's vented, less problems, and is driven differently than the 93. But since it is vented you have to pick up a vent/vacuum harness, unless it comes with the 95 engine. Then there is the short Opti harness that runs from the gray connector connector on the bracket on passenger side of intake manifold, to the Opti. You need to use the short harness from the vented 95. Has a different Opti connector.

Forgot..... 1 more. The 93 feeds RPM directly from the coil to the tach, with a filter module inline near the ICM. The 95 sends cam position sensor signals from the Opti to the PCM, then the PCM feeds the tach. You can use the 95 coil to feed the 93 tach. You just need to make sure you keep the filter in the circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELLO FIRE BUFFS NEED A LITTLE HELP I AM DOING A COMPLETE SWAP . 94 CAMARO Z 28 LT1 5.7 INTO MY 1997 FICREBIRD V.6 3.8, I HAVE SWAPED LT1 TRANS, DRIVELINE, REAREND , ENGINE HARNESS AND NOW I WILL PULL MY DASH OUT AND REPLACE DASH HARNES AND BODY HARNESS ,,,, MY QUESTION IS WHAT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SHOULD I USE . 94 OR 97 FIREBIRD .... I

·
Registered
3 Posts
HELLO FIRE BUFFS NEED A LITTLE HELP I AM DOING A COMPLETE SWAP . 94 CAMARO Z 28 LT1 5.7 INTO MY 1997 FICREBIRD V.6 3.8, I HAVE SWAPED LT1 TRANS, DRIVELINE, REAREND , ENGINE HARNESS AND NOW I WILL PULL MY DASH OUT AND REPLACE DASH HARNES AND BODY HARNESS ,,,, MY QUESTION IS WHAT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SHOULD I USE . 94 OR 97 FIREBIRD .... I

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
97blkhawk, you should start your own thread for your swap problem. You'll have much greater chance of receiving the help you need.

Even though the subject is basically the same, you are hijacking firebirdjake's thread.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
DITTO.

Please start your own new thread. You shouldn't try hijacking someone else's thread, when it does not deal with the same swap you are asking about.

Fred / Administrator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts