Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I have a 1999 v6 firebird all stock except for some speakers and a ram air good. I've noticed that my car sits a little off. It seems to be rolled over on the left side maybe an inch to an inch and a half. I assume this is some suspension problem but I have no clue what it is and the car drives completely fine and isn't really noticeable unless you a out of the car looking at it closely. But just curious if anyone knows what could be causing this.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
Fairly common problem with these 4th Gen cars being 15-20+ years old.

Measure the side-to-side differences for both the front and the rear. A 1.5" difference would be extremely serious and dangerous. But first you need to try an determine which corner has the problem. Often, people complain about the rear appearing to be high on one side, and the problem is tracked to a problem with the front wheel on the opposite side.... front goes down, back come up.

Could be a badly worn spring, damaged/rusted suspension support components, previous body damage due to an accident, In the back, there are upper spring seats that insert into pockets in the unibody. If someone left one of those out on one side, would throw things off. That's an easy one to check and fix.

Are there any significant indications of irregular tire wear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looked and the passenger right is down about an inch and the drivers side rear is about an inch too. The only noticeable tire wear is on the passenger front and looks like it's been rubbing
Correction the passenger side rear is down to about an inch not the drivers side, so the whole right side seems to be down but I believe what you said about the rear being higher is correct, I think it's something to do with the passenger front because the drivers rear seems to be up very high

·
Administrator
14,403 Posts
What area of the tire appears to be rubbing, and what does it appear to be rubbing on?

Are there any unusual noises in the front or rear suspension, particularly "clunks"?

Do you know if any of the suspension components have been replaced? People install lowering springs, cut coils off, use aftermarket shocks with more than one spring seat elevation, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The passenger side tire is rubbing on the mud guard not bad and there is a clunk on the passenger side when you hit bumps but I can't really tell if that's in the front or back. I don't think anything was replaced, everything appears to be stock

·
Administrator
14,403 Posts
Lower spring seat; shock assembly, showing upper spring/shock seat:

Photograph Light Automotive tire Line Red Gas Auto part Wood Tool Metal

Mud guard..... do you mean the plastic inner fender liner?

If you download the 2000 factory manual (I know you have a 99, but should be the same), in Volume 1 of 3, Section 3, Page 3-1 there is a "Suspension" section, and starting on Page 3-3 it has the factory specs for chassis height, and shows you where exactly to take the measurements.

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/342426-link-4th-gen-service-manuals;-82-02-parts-diag;-99-02-wiring-diag/

There's not a lot that can go wrong in the front that would cause the ride height to change. Only the spring would seem to be able to cause a 1" drop..

-sagging spring

-rotted rubber seat at bottom of spring, where it sits in the cup on the shock barrel

-rotted upper and lower A-arm bushings

-upper spring seat/shock mount rotted

-if spring upper coil is not properly indexed in the notch on the top seat, it will raise that side a bit

Does the chassis show any significant signs of rust? I'm starting to see "snow belt" 4th Gens exhibiting serious underbody rust damage.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts