Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting in nearly a quart of gear oil every time I check the fluid every couple hundred miles. I look for oil under the car every time I stop and see a few drips at most. It must be splashing out somewhere when the gears are turning as the car is in motion. The front bearing has a drain back system. The drainback hole may be plugged or the bearing retainer gasket is missing? I don't think thats all it is because this is a lot of oil disappearing very quickly. Not a slow leak. Its running out somewhere.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It really can only come out the front or the tail shaft.Seems you would have a puddle under the car somewhere.I run a ST-10 in my 62 GP and it never leaks anywhere.Tom

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
T-10 transmission has all the usual places for gear oil to escape. These places include; front oil seal,oil seal housing, side cover plate including shift levers, tail shaft housing which has a separator plate and 2 gaskets. Then rear seal rounds out the hit parade.

I believe your best course of action is to clean the trans of all oil. Then add oil with additive that glows under a black light. This should show you where leaks are coming from.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If that much oil is coming out the rear seal, there will be oil all over the under side of the car. The slip yoke will sling it everywhere ! :(

I've had to replace a rear seal or 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts