Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I bought new sunvisors and new mounting brackets for my car, but they don't stay up. I was thinking about pulling a nice pair from another car that are factory. I saw some nice ones but they are from a third gen. Does anyone know if the 3rd gen brackets will mount in the same place they do in a 2nd gen? Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they are the reproductions with the screw. I wouldn't recommend them, especially as expensive as they are. I even tried using the piece of tape trick around the arm that goes out.

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
I've had to put a shim in a few reproduction visor brackets for various 70's GM cars during the past year or so. The way they're made you can tighten the screw all the way and the visor will still fall. use a small piece of plastic or metal with a lip on it you can curve and fit into the hole the post goes into.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Perhaps a longer screw?
Mine were the early repros that came out a few years ago. They did not have the screw and a different bushing setup. But then they were changed to screw type to copy original. Mine didn't matter too much as retrimmed them in leather but seem stiff. You can get new bush inserts but may not suit the new types and shouldn't require them if new, but may not have them from new.

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
If it's the same problem I've seen a longer screw won't help as the inner part is already clamped as tight as it can be but there's not enough compression on the rod to add resistance to turning so the visor drops. It's as though the rod is a little too small diameter or the inner diameter of the clamp inside the visor is a little too big.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts