Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that this topic has come up a thousand times, so apologies if I'm repeating things...

I have a 98 Formula, which I am NOT track racing, driving only on weekends, for me, I don't thrash it around corners, but road grip and balance is important to me (I feel safer).

Are sub-frame connectors worth getting? I know that earlier models where fairly renowned for chassis flex, not sure if this car suffers the same...?

If so, are the cheaper ones any good? Any recommendations? Because of the US to AUD dollar conversion (and shipping), would I be better off just getting something manufactured here?

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
Sub frame connectors are a good investment for your car. Because of where you live, you are better off getting a set made in Australia. Sbc is a pretty simple piece that most any metal shop can duplicate. Just make sure they use high grade steel for them.

Cheap one's are usually made from low grade steel and are not as strong.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
Mine were custom built when the roll bar was installed, tying the ends of the roll bar hoop to the rear SFC connection and the ends of the diagonal side braces to the front SFC connection. They were constructed with 1-3/4" tubular chrome moly, as was the roll bar, to minimize weight.

Really tightens the car up. Great being able to lift the entire side of the car with the jack virtually anywhere.

·
BillyMagg
306 Posts
Mine were custom built when the roll bar was installed, tying the ends of the roll bar hoop to the rear SFC connection and the ends of the diagonal side braces to the front SFC connection. They were constructed with 1-3/4" tubular chrome moly, as was the roll bar, to minimize weight.

Really tightens the car up. Great being able to lift the entire side of the car with the jack virtually anywhere.
I had a very sweet low milage, 2000 Camaro SS convertible, with the torque dimple, caused by chassis flex. The convertibles had some factory stiffening I believe?? Which made it somewhat more difficult to install frame connectors?

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
There is additional sheet metal in the convertibles. Both in the body sheet metal, and the "g-load" brace under the driveshaft tunnel is expanded to a larger "X" configuration, across the floor pans. They do make SFC's for convertibles - this Spohn Performance listing does appears to fit both coupes and convertibles, as an example.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002-GM-F-Body/Chassis/Sub-Frame-Connectors/Tubular-Sub-Frame-Connectors-Mild-Steel.html

Buddy of mine had a brand new 97 30th Anniversary SS convertible. He got a set of MAC SFC's as soon as he bought the car. And he removed the "X" sheet metal brace under the floor pans. No dimples, although by the time it reached 750 HP it had a roll bar, and at the final level - 1,350 HP running low 8's and close to 170 MPH - he had an NHRA-certified full cage, both of which provide additional stiffening. But after 7 years of this abuse, no dimples. That seems to be peculiar to the Camaro, not so much with the Firebird.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts