Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Down to a hope and prayer at this point. 97 WS6 5.7L LT1 she wont stay cool. Somehow air is building up in the radiator causing it to overheat. I can run it if i leave the bleed screws slightly open to release the extra air, every now and then have to stop and let them completely bleed, espcially if i have high rpms. Also it will over heat at idle unless engine is reved up to 2rpm - 2.5 to release the air? There is no leaks im not losing coolant and im sure everything is working correctly. I've tried several thermostats and ended up yanking the thermostat and get the same problem. Car has plenty of power, no white smoke, no milky oil, gradually just heats up. It's the weirdest problem never seen her do this. What could it possibly be?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
Check the steam pipe. it runs along the passenger side valve cover. There could be a pin hole in the rubber section. ...or your intake gasket. ...I spent 5 years trying to trace down my overheating issue. A mechanic listened with a stethascope and said my intake gasket was leaking, 1993 LT1 is dry intake, waste of my time and money to replace, but, I think yours is wet.

The steam pipe though, only leaks coolant when doing it's job and even then only a few drips. Never enough to ever notice, but enough to let air in.

The LT1 thermostat is special, do not use a SBC thermostat or run without it.

Just as a side note, (this isn't your issue) i've sucked up plastic bags up in front of the condensor / radiator somehow and that causes overheating too. ...more than twice.

Also, for grins, elevate the front a bit and bleed again. i've bleed my system many times and on occation, had to elevate the front end to get it done...

The steam pipe though, great place to draw in air without loosing coolant. it took 5 years before mine ruptured enough to be obvious enough. wish I'd have known sooner.

Edit: Oh yeah, are you sure your water pump is flowing?

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
Check your radiator for air bubbles just to be on the safe side. A head gasket can blow with none of the usual symptoms. I've seen blown hg's with the only symptom being car over heats.

But check out all the other stuff as listed above by ZumpTA also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roger will trouble shoot today and let you know. It's always the littlest things that cause the biggest problems. 100% sure water pump works i just replaced it and can see water moving in radiator. I do have air bubbles in radiator...

And hey man if its a firebird, shes wet ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.