Firebird Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 98 firebird but the steering wheel is kind of ratty and falling apart. I was wondering if a 2nd or 3rd gen steering wheel with the bird emblem would fit on it. Anybody know if they are compatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
You would lose the air bag, and radio controls (if you have that option).

But if that's no problem, why not a Grant aftermarket wheel, with optional Pontiac arrowhead?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's actually pretty cool. I was wanting a third gen wheel with the bird on it lol but that's not bad. I don't care about the airbag or stereo controls bc I have an aftermarket stereo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
439594f604f7a892509c558ef0789a94.jpg

Was thinking something like this. If I disconnected the air bag would I have issues with the car afterwards?

This is the exact one I was wanting to try
5c0904e95d143010c4cacac514ef2205.jpg

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
Grant makes a "bird" center cap as well, or at least they did many years ago when I bought mine. I already had the "arrowhead" on the center caps of my ZR1/GS wheels, and wanted to stick to that theme.

That wheel is one of the cheapest ones they make. But I wanted light weight and simplicity for the track. It's really only "pleather". To install it, I had to buy a 3rd Gen install kit. Grant won't sell non air bag steering wheels for air bag cars.

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
It's called the Grant GT. Should be available online. I just happened to find one (just the wheel) in a local Pep Boys. But that was about 10 years ago. Then I ordered the 3rd Gen install kit, the optional horn button, and the Grant very cheap steering wheel puller from JEG's or Summit. The stock cover for the cage that spaces the wheel of the column was ugly rubber, so later I ordered the "billet" 1" spacer that you see in the picture.

The yellow centerline is not stock. I did that myself. Kinda scary when the front wheels are off the ground and you want to make sure the steering is straight ahead when it comes back down......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I replace the stock wheel with the grant wheel, will I have a problem with my air bag not being connected?

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
Your air bag light will be on, unless you take the bulb out. I do not know if removing the driver airbag will disable the passenger airbag.

It's a personal decision you have to make.

Just to be clear, my car is seldom driven on the street. It's a track car, so no ABS and no airbags is not a problem. I saw an airbag deploy on a hard launch, or when the car dropped hard from a wheel stand. I'd like to avoid that. I have a substantial roll bar, a 5-point harness that has to be replaced every 2 years to pass tech, an FIA-rated seat braced to the roll bar, and of course the mandatory fire jacket and Snell-rated helmet. While the passenger seat is still stock, it has its own 5-point harness.

Not sure what you mean by "boss kit".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So is it illegal to not have a driver side air bag? And by boss kit I mean like the spacer assembly, may have called it the wrong thing lol I'm just wanting a nice sporty steering wheel to replace the bulky stock one that's falling apart, and I like the grant stuff I've seen

And I didn't know if taking out the driver air bag would keep the cat from driving normally

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
My post has nothing to do with the legality of removing the airbag. I have no knowledge of the laws where you live, or even where I live, with regard to the airbags. NJ has stopped all "safety" inspections to save money. They only do emissions checks.

I was only trying to point out that a street driven car is different than a track driven car with regard to safety considerations. It is your personal decision to make, and neither I nor this site can assume any liability for such a decision. The more info provided will hopefully guide your choice.

The 3rd Gen kit will come with everything you need to do the install. It will have a metal cage (or "spider") that spaces the base of the steering wheel off the top of the steering column. It will include a rubber cover for the spider that I thought was sort of ugly. I replaced the cage/rubber cover with a 1" billet spacer, painted black, available from Grant. The details of all this are getting dim, because I did this maybe 12 or 13 years ago.

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
I don't care about the airbag...
I used to say the same thing until some old lady blew through a stop-sign. Not even time to hit the brakes. I was not belted in, she died instantly, the airbag saved my life. If you're only going to the strip, sure, delete it. If you're going to be on public streets even for a minute, keep the airbag. Get a 4th gen steering wheel off ebay or craigslist. ...also, does Alabama have inspections? If so you would likely fail the saftey portion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow that's horrible, I may want to reconsider that. I live in Texas and as it happens got my other car inspected today and asked about it while I was there. He said as long as the new wheel steers properly it would pass inspection here even with no airbag

Wow that's horrible, I may want to reconsider that. I live in Texas and as it happens got my other car inspected today and asked about it while I was there. He said as long as the new wheel steers properly it would pass inspection here even with no airbag

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
I used to say the same thing until some old lady blew through a stop-sign. Not even time to hit the brakes......... I was not belted in, ......... she died instantly, the airbag saved my life. If you're only going to the strip, sure, delete it. If you're going to be on public streets even for a minute, keep the airbag. Get a 4th gen steering wheel off ebay or craigslist. ...also, does Alabama have inspections? If so you would likely fail the saftey portion.
No comment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
0ed9d658b6f58afb0c9468a03682221d.jpg

Finally did it! It was pretty simple I'm just having some issues with the horn. Any advice?

·
Registered
475 Posts
You could probably sell your air bag assessembly if you no longer want it. I know that folks who get in bumper to bumper accidents and the airbag deploys, don't want to pay a shop $250 just for a new air bag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts