Firebird Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

As i have a little time and investigated sloppy play on my 1970 tilt steering wheel firebird. I found the housing cracked and probably not repairable. What year of steering columns that will bolt right up to my intermediate shaft without too much work. looking for plug and play. I have read 1970-1978 may work but would like more feedback.

Chuck

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
According to the aftermarket parts catalogs I consulted, 70-76 is the same column. 77 up use a different column, I'm thinking because of the different diameter of the output shaft of column.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks David,

I need to rebuild the one but I doubt the parts are interchangeable. I have or replace it. Looks a little abused over the years but can be fixed. I been searching for a 1970-1976.just so I can try to get an unmolested unit. Notice the wire harness splice from the pics

I found this posted on a rebuilders site. It shows the years as I assume as sea dog mentioned 1970-1976 should interchange.

TC001 67-68 Camaro, Firebird floor shift, $395.00
TC002 67-68 Camaro, Firebird Turbo 350 & 400, $395.00
TC003 69 Camaro, Nova floor shift, $295.00
TC004 69 Camaro, Nova column shift, $295.00
TC005 69 Firebird floor shift, $310.00
TC006 70-76 Camaro, Firebird floor shift, $295.00
TC007 77-78 Camaro, Firebird floor shift, $295.00
TC008 79-81 Camaro floor shift, $295.00
TC009 79-81 Firebird floor shift, $295.00

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plot thickens.

The last image I uploaded was for a 1978-81 for column. When i removed the current unit, I had different size bolts and one missing when I removed the column.

Can someone verify if the 1970-1976 columns looks similiar or different. Is there a way of telling when the column was manufactured? I am thinking I have the newer style installed and the wire harness spliced as the turn signal assy may be different

looking deeper...

Thanks

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am going to rebuild my own column as it seems to be a good core. it appears the split shaft plastic ball joint has cracked and needs to be repaired and soughted out

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have located another unit as the current owner had it for many years and dont know anything else about the unit. it been sitting for a few decades

From what I can tell 1970-1976 or even 1970-1975 steering columns was pretty much the same. Then I see there have been changes between 1977-1978 and 1979-1981 but have not really investigated the differences in depth

I have attached two photos from the steering column in question that I want to buy. It appears that the columns are the same at the top of thesteering wheel section but I am having the owner remove the intermediate shaft and make sure the splines are the same as mine. My questions I would need to answer are:

If the splines are the same type at the lower unit, I would have an identical match.

If the splines are not the same, Will the top half assy be the same as I can make one shaft from both as I could use the parts if the price is right. My shaft looks great but missing some hardware at the top end to include some horn and spring guts. the cam canceling for the turn signal will have to be replaced

I can buy this column with a missing key and tilt lever for about 125.00 which seems to be a good price. Of course I would also have to pay shipping so lets say 160.00 out the door for the assy with intermediate shaft. I purchased a pivot screw removal tool so I can get the top half disassembled on my current unit. Does anyone have anything else to add? I will provide feedback as I resolve this issue. I broke the center sphere and bearings while moving the car after the new fuel pump died when the car was not running.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a pivot screw removal tool and found the sphere between the upper tilt shaft /lower shaft to be broken. I assumed it was just a bearing issue but it appears that was not the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I used a tilt column that came at out of a 70 Grand Prix in my 69 bird

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle fork Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Gas Wood Machine Plastic Engineering

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply James, Has anyone posted a similar topic on this forum. I did not find one.If one exists, Please post the link

I am painting the new column with SEM 39143 Black Trim paint as I have some left over from painting my headliner moldings. Has anyone else tried this or have other suggestions.

Thanks

Chuck

·
BillyMagg
306 Posts
Thanks for the reply James, Has anyone posted a similar topic on this forum. I did not find one.If one exists, Please post the link

I am painting the new column with SEM 39143 Black Trim paint as I have some left over from painting my headliner moldings. Has anyone else tried this or have other suggestions.

Thanks

Chuck
Looks like you are on the right track Chuck, before I came over from the dark side, I had an 82 Mustang GT with a tilt wheel, and like you it gradually loosened up to the point of no return. Like you I found the cast pivot housing cracked at the pivot point, my buddy whose Dad owned the local ford dealership, had a tilt column from a T-Bird which replaced mine perfectly. I had to borrow the pivot pin removal tool from another friend who was a Ford Service Manager.

I believe mine was caused by the "Honey Badger" who is a shorty hanging on the wheel to propel herself into the drivers seat, she did love the Mustang, leaky t-tops and all?? LOL I had a similar problem with my Toyota Landcruiser which had no running boards, I'm trying to get her a job at LockMart in the test to destruction static load testing?? LOL

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Lol I hear that my wife is all of 5 feet and I couldn't figure out why the tilt wheels kept breaking

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been searching for a complete non tilt column for my 75 Firebird for quiet a while and haven`t been able to locate one for less than 400 bucks,I`ll keep an eye open for you as well.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
No problem John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts