Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Finally got the firebird engine running. What is left to do is put the Transmission back on and put a new steering column in. How do I remove the old steering column. I feel like I have done everything, but I can't get the whole column off.

Any instructions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first project car and I have already learned so much and picked up so many skills. Help me get this project on the road this weekend!!

The car is a 79 firebird btw.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Have you unhooked all electrical connectors?

Next any cables attached to column, like trans cable.

Remove the rubber/ steel grommet where column goes through firewall.

Removed bolts/nuts holding column to dash assembly.

And finally, disconnect the column from the steering box and or rag joint.

Column should be ready to come out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe I have done everything except for the disconnecting of the steering box and rag joint. Where is this located? Can you give me a detailed explanation?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
The rag joint is in the engine compartment. The steering gear is attached to the frame. The rag joint is attached to steering gear and shaft of steering column. Each side of the rag joint has a clamping bolt that holds rag joint to steering gear and to column shaft. Loosen the bolt and rag joint will disengage from steering gear or column shaft. Sometimes it sticks and you have to spread the jaws of the clamp apart a small amount.

I would remove rag joint from column shaft as rag joint on the shaft makes it more difficult to pull column shaft through the firewall. When reinstalling, the shaft of column has to be turned to the correct position for shaft to slide in rag joint.

And it's best when disassembling to mark position of steering wheel so column gets installed in same position it was before disassembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts