Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with the steering column... So I had my 78 formula at a frame shop to replace the sub frame with a straight 76 formula sub frame. When I got it back it would not shift in all gears... after a lot of stress we found out once the rod linkage is un-pinned from steering column everything works. After further inspection I can see the Steering Column inside the car is knocked to the left and there is a huge gap on the right side between the column and the dash bezel. Can i adjust this some how and maybe it will align with the rods again and work like it should? Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't think there is much adjustment on those if they are installed correctly. Is the column bent? Some pics in the trouble areas might be useful. Do things look right in the engine compartment/steering box? The rod linkage is adjustable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there, I tried last week to upload pictures and could not figure out how.... I adjusted the steering column inside it only needed to be moved 1/2 inch. Nothing looks bent and the steering box is mounted in the right place to the sub frame. The rods look like they should but for some reason when the rods are attached to the steering column the shifter will not pull into all gears... I'm assuming its a steering column problem? Or do I need to adjust the rods?

·
Registered
476 Posts
How many rods do you have? Can you pull the key out when it's in park? Will it start in neutral? Do the reverse lights work while it's in reverse? What gears will it not go into while the rod is hooked up? Do you have the stock exhaust manifolds?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts