Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Hoping someone can help me out. I have a 83 T/A with a 305 Cross-fire and it takes at least 3 times of cranking to get it started. When it starts it runs great, but when I shut if off (usually at operating temp) it will not start back up on its own. If a spray some starting fluid in it, if starts right up and runs great again. The one thing I noticed is that I do not hear the 3 second fuel delivery when the key is turned on. Is there a relay, switch or sensor that could be falling?

Or maybe a wiring issue if in that case were about is the wiring area I should be looking at? Thanks for everyone's time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could be many things from injectors, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, or Fuel filter. I suggest starting with changing the fuel filter, then check relay. if nothing changes you need to do a fuel pressure test to give you a better idea of what the problem is. Oh, are there any codes?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
You need to put a fuel pressure gauge on fuel inlet line and test pressure. Your crossfire system doesn't have a pressure port. So you will have to use a fuel pressure gauge that will splice into system. 9-13 psi for crossfire fi @ key on prime.

If pressure is good, use a noid light or 2 lead test light to see if the 2 injectors are opening. While cranking engine, light should be on. It may also blink on and off. Just as long as bulb lights while cranking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks i'll try some of those things. There are no codes in the system. And like I said once it starts, it runs good and doesn't bog out. Thanks guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts