Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re doing my 73 Esprit. I have a formula hood and the car had a spoiler that fit great before it had some body work which consisted of lower front quarter patch and lower rear quarter patch. Because the lower rear quarter was just that and not a full quarter. My spoiler end on that side no longer contours the quarter.(see photo) the top half of the rear quarter where the spoiler holes were drilled remained but when the panel was replaced something went wrong. Is there any fix besides starting over completely. Also, for years the truck would never stay open, so I finally bought the torsion rods for the Trans Am, when I realized that one side is the same for all models and the other side is heavier. Once I replaced these, the heavier side tweaked the deck lid up in the air. I tried shimming the hinges and was able to get the rear of the deck lid to sit almost level on that side, but at the cost of having the front part sink in. With all of this hassle, I'm debating on abandoning the spoiler, my hesitation being that now the holes in the quarter and deck lid will need to be patched and filled. With all that being said, should I go for the spoiler look or ditch it? The car has a maroon interior and was white which is probably the color I'm going to repaint it. I'm also ditching the Rally IIs and white letter BFGs for torq thrusts with black centers and black wall tires with 275/60 drag radials out back and probably 235/60s up front. So what should I do, try to keep the spoiler or ditch it? Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Hood Automotive design Fender

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
I really like the looks of the rear spoiler on these cars. I'd try to make it work some how. Can you redo that spoiler section to fit? Drill the mounting holes a little farther in and then trimming the spoiler section?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy that did the quarter said he could make it work, although I'm not sure how. Not sure if the reason is his fault or the panel's. Even if I resolve that, I still have to deal with the Trans Am torsion rod jacking up the one side of the deck lid if I want it to stay open with the spoiler. I think the car would look ok without the spoiler with the wheel and tire combo that I have planned, but I haven't been able to find a photo of one online with that combo exactly. Most photos I see are Pontiac rally's with small white letter tires, and the rear springs sagging or they look too much like a camaro without the spoiler.

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
The 70 Formy came stock without a rear spoiler. There's one on the cover of the 70 sales brochure so you should be able to find a pic.

The rear of the cars were lower from the factory. Something about the marketing guys wanting the cars to look like they were taking off while sitting on dealers lots or some such nonsense. We all put air shocks in them back then.

I like the look of the early 2nd gens with no spoiler and a Formy hood. I'd ditch the wheel well trim, emblems, and drip rails for a raw muscle car look with the wheel/tire package you have planned.

Also needs these wheel center caps for the TT II's.

WheelNutzonThe14Carshoot1023.jpg

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'd keep the wheel trims, although it's not as good with the 'chrome' trim with white as contrasting colours. Likewise, the rear spoiler, if a bolder, sporty colour I'd keep it, if a classic metallic or similar id leave it off. White works both ways. In the end it's up to you and both options can look great. Although I'm never really sure about black rims on anything.
I'd also look into the body work that sees the spoiler end now a bad fit, even if you dont plan to refit.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I much prefer 2nd gens WITH rear spoilers, and 1st gens WITHOUT. The 2nd gens seem to look almost naked, or unfinished, to me, without the rear spioler. But, I suppose it all comes down to personal opinion, and taste. Hey, some like chocolate, some like vanilla--some like white, some like black. :yes

·
Registered
27 Posts
"I like the look of the early 2nd gens with no spoiler and a Formy hood. I'd ditch the wheel well trim, emblems, and drip rails for a raw muscle car look with the wheel/tire package you have planned."

Agreed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some playing with Photoshop, to get an idea of what the car would like without the spoiler and black wall tires. I "darked" out the rally wheels to simulate the Torq Thrusts. This shot was when the car had a cowl hood, so I won't get the full effect with the formula hood. I also removed the door trim, chrome rocker panel trim and tried to get the wheel mouldings out as best as I could because they are not going back on the car. I also removed the badges, although I may put the Firebird badge back on the lower front quarter. So hear are the shots: the first shot is how the car sat before being disassembled for body work, the second shows the changes with spoiler and the third shows without. Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did one last photoshop to draw in the formula hood. I like th formula look without the spoiler provided the wheel tire combo and stance is right. NOT A TA, can you remove the drip rails above the Windows and the window trim at the top of the door, or do they need to be there in order to hide/ mount essential pieces like window stripping? Assuming I delete the window trim at the top of the door, it would be hard to reverse as I would have to grind off the metal clip retainers.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
Did one last photoshop to draw in the formula hood. I like th formula look without the spoiler provided the wheel tire combo and stance is right. NOT A TA, can you remove the drip rails above the Windows and the window trim at the top of the door, or do they need to be there in order to hide/ mount essential pieces like window stripping? Assuming I delete the window trim at the top of the door, it would be hard to reverse as I would have to grind off the metal clip retainers.
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
You can remove the channel that holds the rubber window seal, then remove the separate piece that is the drip rail, then reinstall the channel that holds the window rubber. My car was an Esprit with the drip edge and I removed it the first time I painted the car. There will still be a vertical shiny piece at the rear of the window that has to remain as it's part of the channel that holds the rubber there but you can paint it flat black and it'll blend right in with the rubber. You can see it in the pic below.

Edit: I also really like the look of the Formy hood with a short 70 Camaro spoiler as 73Birdman has done.

The14Carinterior461.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts