Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is a V6 specific issue or not, or if I am the only one to have this issue but this is whats going on. 0-50 my speedo works just fine. If I go any faster it stalls and goes all haywire. I tried replacing the cluster and it didn't do anything, I next thing I am going to try is the VSS. But after that I don't what I should change should it not work. Also another issue, if I should go 60+ My transmission feels like it wants to go into neutral or hold in third gear making my RPMs 3K or more. If I go to accelerate more than a lil nudge it does drop to neutral. Please tell me this is not an expensive tranny fix...Thank for the help.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,355 Posts
The VSS reads a reluctor gear on the tranny tailshaft. Sounds like there may be some sort of excessive movement in the tailshaft at higher speeds, causing erratic readings by the VSS.

Reactions: FBN Firebird Nation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how much about do you think it would run to get that fixed, cause I can only do a little more than basic repair...don't really want to touch the transmission.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,355 Posts
Hard to say what it would cost. Its not a common problem. Pulling the tailshaft housing off the tranny would be required, and someone that knows a lot about auto transmissions would have to evaluate the condition of the reluctor gear on the output sahft, and check for excessive play in the output shaft - both end play, and side-to-side movement.

Have you checked to see if the VSS is setting a trouble code in the PCM?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just got the VSS installed and that was the problem. I guess that it was not sealed right and the transmission fluid eroded the connector causing it not to work. So yeah this is resolved...Thanks for all the support.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts