Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello flock!

Curious... the rear spare tire plastic cover is held on by those three twist screws that are not only incredibly soft plastic and look like crap if you don't take care of them, but they also cost a PACKET to replace (well, it cost only $14 USD, but converted to AUD and shipped here, it becomes expensive)

My question is this:

Has anyone seen or made an alternative screw? I'd love to see something better out there, because I am just not too excited about replacing them with the same every time they ware out.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Haven't seen anything out there even close. But if you happen to be in to wood working, you could make some out of some nice species of wood. Because of the many colors of different woods, I'm sure you could find a wood that would compliment your interior color.

Just the mad scientist thinking out loud.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about 3D printing something, but the hassle there is to find a 3D scanner to copy the original... how's that for mad science?

:lol:

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Actually using a 3D printer is a good idea. From what I've seen, a small 3D printer to make small parts would not break the bank of many hobbyists.

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
I was thinking about 3D printing something, but the hassle there is to find a 3D scanner to copy the original... how's that for mad science?

:lol:
Hey, George Jetson, back in the old days we used primitive devices called rulers, tape measures, and engineering calipers to help us obtain the dimensions of things we wanted to "copy". ;) It's now the year 2300 and scientists are working around the clock to determine which came first, the 3D printer or the 3D Scanner.

Reactions: zoltan

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
measurement... ah yes. I seem to recall that was a technique I used back in the day :lol:

Thanks for the ideas... come to think of it, measurements would be a great start to find matching screws etc...

:yes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts