Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a suggestion for the softest tires for our cars? Ones that help with the terrible clunking each time I hit a bump?

Also I swear my tires have so much resistance on them. I just feel if I had a better tire that the car would flow so much more freely and seen faster. Any suggestions on the lowest resistance tires?

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
475 Posts
sounds like your suspension is not doing its job correctly. I would inspect the shocks and struts. As far as the clunking however, it could be a number of things. The spare tire and jack sit underneath the paneling on in the rear passenger quarter. Check them first. Then take a quick look underneath the car on all 4 corners. Check to make sure you don't have any broken/overly rusty bolts, or missing/extremely worn bushings. Start with that, then move on to replacing the bump stops. You can get a polyurethane kit for these cars from v6fixit.com. After replacing the bump stops, then if the sound changes, you know that the shocks and struts need replaced.

Keep the tires aired up at 32-35 psi. If they are not, they take away from the suspension(which is supposed to absorb bumps).

I have had really hard (60k mile rated) tires before. They are usually the cheapest you can get. But like i said, if your feeling way to much of the road, it is a suspension problem. If you want to try softer tires, take a look at some drag radials. Nitto's or similar. But be aware, softer compound means they only last about 10-15k miles.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Fix the suspension, it shouldn't be clunking. Did this problem exist before you installed the new shocks?

Poly bushings are stiffer than rubber. Bushings are located in the front upper and lower A-arms, the rear lower control arms, the panhard rod and the front mount for the torque arm, in addition to your sway bar (bar mounts, and end links). Poly in the sway bar locations will improve handling in corners by reducing body roll, and without added ride harshness. All the others will tend to make the suspension less sloppy, which may actually worsen you problem. Poly in the rear lower control arms can cause suspension bind when the body starts to roll in corners, but only a problem at extreme driving.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
The bump stops are located above the rear axle just inside the wheels. You can access them with the rear wheels off. Again, rubber is softer, poly is harder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.