Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing a leaking oil pan and gasket on my 2000 firebird with the 3.8L. I have a new oil pan and the fel pro plastic gasket with the molded rubber in it. With all the work I had to do to get the pan off I really don't want to do it again, I want to do it right the first time. So, looking at the gasket, having a hard plastic gasket with a small amount of rubber seal around edge doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I know some permatex should be used in the corners, but still that's how the factory gasket was installed and it leaked, bad. Would it be better to add a very small bead of permatex around the whole molded rubber seal as well? Is this a good idea or not? If so, what permatex should I use? I have the ultra black already, but I've heard the ultra grey is better?? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
In my *opinion*, permatex never hurts. If I recall correctly though, the most common cause of a leak at the pan is over-tightening the bolts. ...get a cheap little torque wrench at Autozone if you don't all ready own one.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, I do have a torque wrench, I'll make sure to get all the bolts to the proper spec. This gasket is something I've never dealt with before, it's hard plastic and there are metal washers molded in around the bolt holes too, probably to protect against over-torquing as well. I think I will go ahead and add a little permatex around the seal then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts