Firebird Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By happen chance I ran into thy guy that painted my 76 Formula 37 years ago. While in storage of course i droped something on the hood and put a gouge in it and there was a rust bubble where I screwed mud flaps on. Not bad for that long ago.
I have her running sweet after a carb rebuild along with plug wires and plugs,dehorned the EGR. Trans leak stopped with a shifter seal.
The paint really is still good with exception to the gouge and rust buble on the fender but 37 years takes its toll.
So Mike came to my house, we talked and scratched and crawled around.
He is getting some figures put together tonight for a paint job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Working on a picture but it has the Formula lettering on the lower doors on the front and rear spoiler, the car is silver with red interior, is this what is ment by W50?
I have spent the day getting my decal and weather strips/seals order ready.
I want to order the headliner and carpet a little later but the red color thing is cuasing me some hesitation. Is it called Firethorn for a 76?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spent the day replacing master cylinder, packing bearings, calipers,pads flush, rear cylinders shoes and hardware,flush and flush some more. Diff oil, removed inner door panels, trunk carpet, gave her a bath and checked for leaks.
Made a order to Firebird Central, seals and felts,carpet and headliner and a bunch of other neat parts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Moving along with the paint prep. I made a large order with Firebird Central and was expecting problems with backorders but to my surprise the only backorder was a PVC valve. They did say the headliner could be two weeks or two months.
With this moving along the next issue is figuring out a new audio system. It had a two speaker with a amp system in before but is dead now. Looking for something that will Bluetooth and has good sound, i have been reading about a speaker that fits in the dash designed to be stereo sound

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What i ment to say, i want to get a whole new system, speakers in the rear and a new reciever with some power. I have been reading about the speaker with two cones that fits where the speaker in the dash was for the AM radio. Just would like to get some surround sound and utilize these 4 channel recievers.
How can i pretty up the deck where the rear speakers are now? Gonna have the seats out for carpet, does that lid come out with a few more screws? What color of red might match?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He has the door jams painted and the trunk lid off and painted underneath. Movig right along. Today i went to the Licens branch with a 1989 registration figuring on problems. They had to go into their archives. Got charged for a new title some how but i got a plate. Insured through Hagerity. Spent the rest of my day fitting the inner door felt on, wanted to do it with black screws. Went to Fastenall,Tractor Supply, Lowes, came home with short but shinny screws, looked in my toolbox rat hole and foud a ample supply of black ones.
I know i have her running well and soon she will be back to looking like when i bought her, i think i am in love.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Be aware that not only is there the coloured board panel that sits on the parcel shelf where the speakers go, but the rear trim strip that runs around the rear of it and it interior coloured, is actually part of the metal body shell. It often gets missed during resprays or interior colour changes. As for the board, if it's clean it can easily be resprayed with the same interior dye that they use on seats and trim, depending on your interior, or which area it needs to match. That could be anything in a red car if red carpet, so I guess see what others with same interior have used, see if it matches or looks decent. It needs to be flat too, not glossy, or at least the sheen of vinyl with protectant wiped over it.
You can also get the new boards cheap, especially if water damaged or warped, may be easier to respray one of them instead, but their colors may also be wrong. I know they use one tan to suit 20 tans and it matches none so redying the board is common. I retrimmed mine in leather, no messing around!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts