Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 formula. I had a 76 sub frame put on at a frame and axle shop, then when I picked it up the gears were not correct to the shifter. Since in the past the tranny lags but all the gears always worked, I decided to just pay a local high reputable classic transmission shop to just rebuild the tranny. The frame shop had the incorrect part on the sub frame to hold linkage. So the tranny shop replaced it with the correct parts. They could not figure out why the shifter was still not appropriately aligning so they replaced the shifter cable. They adjusted it but I no solution, they called my shifter a mystery and said its loose. I bought another one from the junkyard and still cannot get it adjusted to work. It makes no sense. I'm flipping out because I just dropped $4,000 in this and feel like there is no solution. I think the shifter it self is perfectly fine... Any tips?

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
According to what I've read, the proper way to adjust th350 cable is to do it with trans gear lever and shifter lever in low. Make sure the bracket that holds cable to trans pan has slotted holes so it can move forward and backward.

Then also check your shifter where cable is held to shifter. I had a car where the piece was bent out of it's original position. With it that way, I could never adjust it so it worked properly. I bent it back to original position and it worked as intended.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
So are you have a linkage problem or a shifter cable problem? I see where you said there was the wrong linkage connector for the sub frame but it was replaced with "the right one". The mechanism on the side of the transmission is attached to the transmission to change the gears so the linkage and the shifter cable is 2 different problems.

Does the linkage line up and the rod go through both slots on the "U' shaped shifter mounted to the side of the transmission?

or

Does the cable not connect to the bracket that is bolted to the transmission pan?

Pics would be helpful.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
I did transmissions for many years and ran into this sort of thing many times.

I always adjust from neutral.

Put the shifter in neutral, and put the transmission in neutral. The cable "pin" at the end of the cable should go right into the U bracket easily, adjust cable at trans accordingly or if it goes in the U bracket without adjustment, just tighten up the cable pin nut firmly. Then shift from p - L and make sure you have all of your ranges. If it wont start in P/N then readjust the neutral safety switch on the column.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for your feedback! I have removed the shifter linkage rods and the car shifts perfectly. I think the problem is when the frame shop removed the old subframe they bent something. The steering column is knocked to the left side.... Anyways for now I'm happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.