Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased 1979 trans am sitting for 20 years in a garage and the original 403 was exchanged for 1977 400 never driven since I have shaker and ring I think that bolts to breather
is there any place or chance of finding parts or aftermarket?
replacing gas tank ,lines and having quadrajet rebuilt before firing up not sure what to do about breather
thanks-Andy

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The air cleaner base is not reproduced. You need one for a Pontiac engine in a Firebird. It's just the base, not Trans Am specific. The offset and height matches the shaker, if you also have the Pontiac version. The 403 shaker, or rather, the adapter under it, is also specific to that engine. If not sure, shoot us a few pics just to know what the previous owner has swapped or kept from original engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The air cleaner base is not reproduced. You need one for a Pontiac engine in a Firebird. It's just the base, not Trans Am specific. The offset and height matches the shaker, if you also have the Pontiac version. The 403 shaker, or rather, the adapter under it, is also specific to that engine. If not sure, shoot us a few pics just to know what the previous owner has swapped or kept from original engine.
Here is what I have hope it will get me left out parts
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle door Office equipment

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tread Tire Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Ok appears to be the offset 403 shaker and adapter, not the best angle to see the useful area! The replaced rivets are interesting, not sure why, doesn't appear they've moved the adapter.

You still need the aircleaner base and the small dome lid that sits over the air filter element. Ignore the years they list. These were cheap once, not anymore. And then add international shipping and see what condition it turns up in. You also need the offset carb stud that was specific to the 403 TA.

Here's a stripped -down version after I had it powdercoated. The correct lid is the 77-81 version at 13.25" diameter. None of these items are reproduced, used only.

Aircleaner 403 spare complete 2011 (3) by Ben, on Flickr

Carb stud 403 TA by Ben, on Flickr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok appears to be the offset 403 shaker and adapter, not the best angle to see the useful area! The replaced rivets are interesting, not sure why, doesn't appear they've moved the adapter.

You still need the aircleaner base and the small dome lid that sits over the air filter element. Ignore the years they list. These were cheap once, not anymore. And then add international shipping and see what condition it turns up in. You also need the offset carb stud that was specific to the 403 TA.

Here's a stripped -down version after I had it powdercoated. The correct lid is the 77-81 version at 13.25" diameter. None of these items are reproduced, used only.

Aircleaner 403 spare complete 2011 (3) by Ben, on Flickr

Carb stud 403 TA by Ben, on Flickr

This is another I took but i’m still confused if my motor is 400 Pontiac with quadrajet carb I know the breather top is from 403 the guy I bought it from changed motor and apparently went after original breather with a torch trying to meet up any help or pointers pointing me in right direction- will other Pontiac breathers be modified to fit? First car if you can’t tell….
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Cookware and bakeware

1 - 7 of 7 Posts