Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 89 formula last year and have been working on it little by little and have come to an issue i cant resolve.The security system has a mind of its own kicks in when it wants to.I have replaced the computer and have been getting the same results.What is the easiest way to bypass the vats sytem without having to chop up the wiring and if i have to go into the wiring what is the best way to do it?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
www.shbox.com has an excellent vats write up.

Easiest way to remove vats is to have tuner burn you a new chip with vats disabled. But that will be kind of expensive.

Next way to bypass vats, if key lock not reading resistance of key is to get a resistor and put it in. This involves taking the connector apart and placing the resistor in the wires that go to ecm. If key not reading is problem this will get you going.

Know that by doing any of the procedures, you are leaving your car open to theft.

If key bypass doesn't fix the problem, the next step would be to add a 30 hertz bypass module to ecm wiring. They can be bought on ebay and http://www.bakerelectronix.com

If you add the 30 hertz bypass module or tune vats out of the ecm, you will have to bypass the starter enable relay which is part of vats system. It is located, at least on my 90 model, behind the left kick panel. To bypass relay you cut the small yellow/black wire. On the wire that goes from relay, not the wire that goes to relay, you splice in a piece of wire and run to a good ground.

Last way is to repair unit and keep it factory. This involves replacing the theft deterrent module. They are available on ebay, amazon, etc for around $300. And to replace the bloody thing, you must tear out the dashboard which is not a fun project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my 91. I fact that's why I joined this site. So please let me know if u get yours resolved. I have been dealing with it for years. But for the past 6 years it hasn't been running much. I had someone supposedly bypass the chip reader about 6 years ago and it seemed to do well for about 4 months. But I'm not sure it was actually what I paid the guy to do as much as it has a mind of its own and takes it by spells. I know he added a resistor of some kind in somewhere but I'm not sure where.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts