Firebird Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your help. I recently came across what appeared to be either a Pontiac or Camaro (missing all the badges) at a junkyard. The vehicle was missing the front clip. However, there was a pretty cool looking air cleaner assembly in the trunk. The air cleaner assembly appears to have been painted at one time. There was some sort of body tag located by the cowl with some information. I noticed the numbers 78 and thought that this could be a 78 Pontiac. Can anyone tell me more about the car and the air cleaner -- what years were these air cleaners used and for what engine size.

Thanks again!

Eye Drinkware Wood Paint Art Wood Paint Art Gas Circle Font Art Tints and shades Landscape Concrete Drinkware Wood Gas Automotive lighting Circle Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
ok about the cowl tag:

78 = 1978

2FS87 = Pontiac Firebird (base model - Not an Esprit, Formula or Trans Am)

N = built at Norwood, OH plant

9077xx = body unit number

24N = Blue vinyl interior

A51 = Bucket Seats

22L = lower color Glacier Blue

22U = upper color Glacier Blue

08A = built first week of August

----not sure about the next 2 codes

510038 = Fisher time date code

Hopefully someone else will jump in with answers about the air cleaner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Sam:

I'm not an air cleaner expert but I have a 1978 Trans Am.

Since mine came with an air scoop poking through the hood, the air cleaner lid is smaller in diameter than the housing itself.
Your lid is the same diameter, which means it can't accommodate the trans am air scoop.

Also, my snorkel that came with the car is oval which is incorrect. The snorkel shape should be like yours- a cone shape with a round opening, pointing to the drivers side front of the car.

The color of these all came in black.

The bad news is that the center inside hole where the carb goes through, should be a size of a fist. Your hole look to be smaller, which means it's for a two barrel carb instead of a four barrel carb. I dont think any Trans Ams came with two barrels........but I can be wrong.

Good luck with your project!

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Looking at the air cleaner it looks to be a small opening in the center. Might be off a V6 car. The VIN would have told you what engine was in it originally.

The air cleaner would have been black in 78.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
S means base model bird

S - Firebird
T - Esprit
U - Formula
W - Trans Am

Reactions: GaryDoug

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
That number indicates a base Firebird as Layna posted. That small of a hole in the air cleaner means it was a small carb. The VIN would have told you what engine originally came in the car.

But looking at the air cleaner that car either had a 231 V6 or the 305 2bl.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Looking at the rear Bumper I would have guessed a 77-78 Firebird right off the bat.

What gets me folks is you all ASSUME it is Factory, lets see a Pic of the engine ?

Could be a 350 2 Barrel small block or a 400 small block with 2 barrel...a lot of folks ran those back then thinking they were faster...

Could even have been a 400 big block with 2 barrel

Also being it is in the middle of a Junk yard could be off any of the cars adjacent to it and was put there and left...

AH HA

I thought I had seen this on Hitmans site about Cowl Tags and TAs and such missing designations...

When you get up into the later years around 1976 and later, the VIN number stated a "2W87" for Trans Am, but the cowl usually read "2FS87" for Firebird. Not to worry about this when you are decoding your cowl tag. Pontiac and GM were rolling these cars off the assembly line pretty fast, so they mostly left the Fisher Body Plant as Firebird bodies and were made into Trans Ams at the GM Plant.

W67 is Esprit Designation...As shown on cowl tag...

W67 ESPRIT MODEL or
W67 2DR ESPRIT <a></a>This just says it's an Esprit, 2nd model up in the Firebird lineup. W67 is often stamped on the cowl tag. I always say it was a Firebird made for a girl, although Jim Rockford did always drive one on TV. Esprits featured deluxe interior, deluxe sound insulation, and all the optional bright moldings as standard equipment. The standard engine was usually a step above the base Firebird engine. The Skybird (above) and Redbird (below) show

Since every model was in Fact a Base Firebird you would need to decode the vin to get a better grip on this vehicle...

I also cant help but notice the car to the right of it also is RED...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at the rear Bumper I would have guessed a 77-78 Firebird right off the bat.
What gets me folks is you all ASSUME it is Factory, lets see a Pic of the engine ?
Could be a 350 2 Barrel small block or a 400 small block with 2 barrel...a lot of folks ran those back then thinking they were faster...
Could even have been a 400 big block with 2 barrel
Also being it is in the middle of a Junk yard could be off any of the cars adjacent to it and was put there and left...
You are spot on with your analysis. The engine was already gone as well as the entire front clip when I came across it. However, there were no other Firebirds or Pontiacs from the era around. Even if the air cleaner was from the 78 Firebird, the engine could have been swapped out some time in the last 35+ years.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would have looked for the Transmission next...if it was there to see if it was rabbit eared or round...which also may have indicated it could have been ripped out and a 350 Chevy installed then 2 barrel again would have made sense...

·
Admin - Firebird lover
4,305 Posts
oh well, I'm just a girl. What do I know about cars.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Not at all.

I think you and Lawless arr awesome...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Not at all, good to have Firebird girls around, pity none exist over here.
It's also a common misconception, especially when you've just purchased your dream TA and then see the base model coding on the cowl.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It looks very much like mine that I have on a 1980 Firebird Yellowbird (which is based off the Esprit model). My car has a 231 v6 and I would assume yours is most likely the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts