You can move this one to "Resolved" Bob.
I stumbled across the cause of the problem. I had three PCMs in my garage and somehow got them mied up. The reason scanners couldn't read the DTCs is because I had put the PCM out of the 95 Firehawk A4 in my car.
Put this one in the "Dumbest things I've done" thread.
Here's what happened. During the time I was swapping engines, I ended up with 3 PCMs. One was my original(OBD2), one was out of the 95 Firehawk(OBD1) that I parted out and a 3rd one. I had marked each of them, but, somehow I switched the 96 with the 95 and installed it in my car.
I discovered this when trying out the other PCMs to see if the one in the car was fried. The car ran better and I checked the service numbers and Voilla!
All the pieces of the puzzle fell together after that. The high idle, running rich, the ALDL port not working, etc.
It ran pretty good before other than a high idle and running rich but it really runs good now!